Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would be your multi-effect-choice?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lazyman, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Hi guys,

I want to buy me a multi-effects-processor and got about 150 € to spend (but remember: if the sound is ok, less money would be fine! :)). So what would be your decision if you were me?

1.) Behringer Bass-V-Amp
    2.) Digitech BP50
    3.) Digitech BP80
    4.) Digitech BP200
    5.) Zoom 506 II
    6.) Zoom 607

Please help me, cause I cannot find the best one for me! And do not forget to say, why you want to buy it.

Thank you for your fast answers!

2. It would help us to help you if you told us more of why you want it and what you will be using it for.

I personally would recommend the Boss ME-50B. Do a search and you will find a lot of info on it.

I use it live and more and more in the studio. I plug my bass into the Me-50B and a line out right into my sound card and when using mild settings of the Bass Driver I can get some great "mic'ed up cabinet" sounds.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    It depends on how much you're willing to dish out and what features you want.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I agree with the others. Need to know what you need before you select a unit. The Boss ME-50B is getting rave reviews. The Boss GT-6B is another good unit. Used prices here in the US are very close to your budget. I feel like a walking Boss ad, but also consider the Boss VF-1 rack mount unit. If you add an expression pedal and a Midi Buddy, you get great effects.

5. Listen, I want a multi-effect-unit, because I need somethin' that I can carry with me, because I don't wanna carry my amp to my friends if we want to play. Also I want to add some "speciality" to my sound and want to come close to my idols. Furthermore I want to give our songs a special sound, so you can hear the bass much better than you actually do. But the ME-50B is much too expensive for me, 'cause I wanna a NEW unit, nothing used.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Please don't take that tone with us. Your original post did not completely lay out your requirements. We asked for more information to better help you.

Given what you said, this is my response. I can't speak for the Behringer unit, but I don't like the sound quality of the Zoom and Digtech multieffects. I've tried them and they just don't sound right to me.

For practice into headphones, I use a Korg Pandora PX3B. It is not designed for use at gigs, but works well for practices if you don't need foot switching of effects. Nice thing about the Pandora is that it is super small. I believe that the newer PX4B should be in your price range.

Out of curiousity, why are you restricting your purchase to new units only? You really get more for your money if you purchase used.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What's wrong with asking you what you want? You want us to tell you what to get, but you're too lazy to say what you want?

All the units you listed have different pros & cons. I don't think the Zoom units are that great. The effects on them aren't that great quality. The Digitech BP50 and BP80 are in the same boat. Of the ones you listed, the BP200 is probably the best of the bunch in terms of sounds, portability and durability.

OK, so what sounds are those? Chorus, distortion, fuzz, synth?

No one is trying to be smart with you, we do want to help. But it's kind of like asking "what bass should I buy" without giving any criteria other than price.

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Who are your idols?

It takes a lot of tweaking to get the right sound w/ a BP200. This is probably why Xyllion remarked that it "didn't sound right." It's not a pedal where you can just go to the store, try it out, and witness its full capabilities.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend either of the Zoom pedals. They have very poor construction and sound atrocious. Stay away from Zoom products.

I also would not recommend a BP-50, because it doesn't have enough features to make it fun. When you buy a multi-effects unit, you're looking for something that you can tweak with and play with for a long time. Not something that you can press a button, find one of the 11 sounds available, and leave it at that.

The BP-80 is slightly better than the BP-50. The BP-80 has about the same sound quality as the BP-200, only many less effects. Also, with a BP-200, you can adjust how much of each effect to add to your sound, allowing for hundreds more combinations. The BP-200 also has 40 permanent effects, and 40 programmable effects slots. It also works well as a headphone amplifier. If you're a fan of Les Claypool, I would strongly recommend this pedal, as it can model his MesaBoogie amp, and almost completely mimic his sound. If anyone is interested, I currently have one for sale for $125.

Though I have never played with the Behringer, I can see from MF that it is a modeling multi-fx unit, not a programmable effects unit like the BP-200 or 80.

Personally, I would stick with one of the following three: DigiTech BP-200, DigiTech BP-80, Behringer V-Amp. If you just want something that can model other amps well, go with the Behringer. If you think you will only use one effect at a time and are not too interested in tweaking with things, go with the BP-80. If you want a fully programmable unit, go with the BP-200.

9. Don't buy Zoom. The octave on my 506II comes through intermittently all the time, and it's flimsy. Digitech seems to be built sturdier.

10. I have to apologize! I didn't want to abuse you, it schould have been some kind of beginning a sentence. You know, I am not from England (I'm German) and so I didn't know that that was a expression to make you feel bad. SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To answer your questions: 1.) Unfortunalety, I don't know, what these special sounds are, cause I didn't have any experiences with effects.
    2.) Used units don't look that great and often have reduced quality. Also it should be a christmas-gift and so it has to look nice! I would never (but never say never :)) buy me used units or basses.
    3.) My idols are Cliff Burton (of course), Jason Newsted, the bass player of Korn and the bass player of Alice Cooper (don't know their names).
    So last but not least I have to thank you for your help. I think I'll buy me a BP200. And again: SORRY, but I didn't know that it was such a bad expression!!!

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Lazyman, no problem.
    One bit of advice: if we can see in someone's profile that English probably isn't someones first language then we're less likely to misinterpret what you say.
    The BP200 is probably the best one out there in the price range you're looking at. Enjoy!

12. I also thought you were getting angry with those helping you. Since you're from Germany...well, that's just to be expected. (I'm Joking!)

Take a minute to fill out your personality profile, it'll really help these situations. Look at mine! I'm from San Diego, so everybody knows I'm a surfer with a year-round tan.

Don't be a Lazyman...fill out the profile.

Ich bin ein Berliner.