1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would be your profession if you weren't a musician?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Crystalman85, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I hope I'm in the right section for this topic. let's say that you are a famous musician(I know everyone here is not a famous musician, but just pretend that you are) and you are being interviewed on t.v or on the radio. and you were asked that If you weren't a famous musician, what profession would you have? If I wasn't a musician, I would be a jeweler. I've had an interest in jewelery since I was a kid. I've always admire jewelry such as rings, pendants, bracelets, etc. I also admire crystals, crystal jewelry, and healing stones. being a jeweler would be the one profession I would have if I didn't choose a career in music. what would be your profession if you weren't a musician? keep in mind that this is a theoretical question.

2. I've never thought of myself as "a musician". I'm a person with a full life who also plays music. That'a very comfortable place to be.

Technically, I'm a musician - but it's an interest and a hobby, not my profession.

3. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I would be a gigolo.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The point of this thread is what other profession would you consider to have if you didn't choose music.

5. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    I'd be the dictator of a small South American country.

6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Propane and propane accessories.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'll tell you what...

8. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yes, but 99% of people on here already have another profession. Maybe I don't understand your post, but it sounds like you're implying everyone here is a professional musician, when that is really only a very small percentage of TB members.

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I am not a professional musician as a primary source of income. I spend waaaaaay more on music (equipment, rehearsal space, recording costs, etc.) than I make back through gigs.

That said, in my next life, I'm coming back in the dental industry. From what I gather, it's light labor, involves a 4 day work week, and earn six figures. Someone who's in the industry can explain to me that I have it all wrong, but it sounds like a much sweeter gig.

10. carlitoswhey

carlitoswhey

Apr 3, 2009
    Phoenix
    Drummer

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I'm still looking for the Best Bass for Metal. :)

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It would be interesting to see how many TB'ers are full time working musicians as opposed to regular stiffs who play music. I bet only a small percentage are full time bassists.

13. I would not want to be a professional musician.

lowsound

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'm too interested in disposable income to be a full time working musician. I've been earning money from gigging for the past 40 years. But that's hobby money.

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Beer salesman. Dig it. It sells it self so zero stress, it sells big, so good commission. All you have to do is drive around and give bar lights and other schwag away. It's a beerific job, nothing could beer cooler.

16. As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the rock & roll.

17. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Since I don't actually make my living by making music, I'll flip it around. I'd be pretty happy doing what Clint Mansell does these days: soundtracks and/or sound design for film. THAT would be really cool. Beyond that? I have no interest in being a professional musician. I don't care for the hours, the work environs, or the 'scene'.

18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Before I realized I wanted to be a musician I wanted to be a paleontologist.

Of course, by "before" I mean "back when I was seven years old", I knew I was going to be a musician from an early age, and honestly never considered any alternatives once I'd had that epiphany.

So I suppose the answer is pronz star.

19. Professional Strongman.

20. I always liked figuring out how things worked, always wanted to work in science. So I do.

Music has always been just a hobby for me, be it an expensive one that I'm not very good at :p