1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would best compliment my rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wdinc01, Sep 8, 2008.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    At the moment I have a Mesa/Boogie 4x10 (I think it's a Diesel) and an AMP-420, which is like the predecessor to Thunderfunk.

I play in a four piece math rock/experimental project. Whenever we practice, I feel like I'm drowned out by the two guitarists. I also feel that I could do better in getting more bass frequencies.

So if you were in my position, what would you do? Right now I'm thinking about adding a 1x15 or even a 2x15. However, Mesa/Boogie stuff can get expensive.

All suggestions welcomed. I'd like to try and keep it below $400, and would like 8 ohms. Other than that, nothing ridiculous heavy, but even though I could put casters on it or something.

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Throw on a 15", and you'll be good to go.

Don't know much about the AMP heads, or what kinda power they give out, but I'd say with an additional 15", you won't be getting drowned out at rehearsal anymore. Check out Ampeg, SWR, or Eden for decently priced 15's...also search used, you'll save a few hundred bucks. Could even find a good deal on a MESA 15" on craigslist...I've seen them priced around $300-$400 used.

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    First off, you're right, more speakers (assuming your amp can handle the impedence) is the way to more volume.

What impedance will the AMP handle? And what's the impedence of your 410? 4 ohms or 8 ohms?

If it were me, I'd stick with 10's so as to avoid some of the issues of driver matching (or needing to crossover). A good 210, or another 410 if you really need LOUD, would be just the ticket.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I don't exactly remember how much the AMP can handle. I was just planning on running a 4 ohm rig. The 4x10 is 8 ohms.

What do you mean by driver matching?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Driver matching...it's possible to cause phasing on certain freqs if you use two different cabs or driver sizes and run full range on both. However, a ton of people do it and they seem to be very happy with their tones, so who knows? I've used mismatched cabs before and liked it fine, but I must admit that I like my tone much better when I adhere to the "rules."

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I tried this with great success.

Get your guitarists to turn the bass in the amps down if they crank it. It makes a world of difference.

7. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I may try asking them to turn down the bass on their amps. One of them is actually using my old bass head because his guitar head died on him and he hasn't been able to fix it.

So what would you all suggest for a 1x15? Should I just look for a used Mesa/Boogie Diesel? Or is there another brand that'll sound good matched up? Or should I even get a 2x10?

Also, I know the back of my head has a bi-amping option. Now, I really don't know very much about bi-amping, but I understand it as sending high frequencies to one cab and low frequencies to another, simply put. Would that be something good to use to get a bass boost? Or would it not make much of a difference?

8. Q: What would best compliment my rig?

A: A hot chick on the end of it. :bassist:

But to be serious, I would try out a 15" with it.

9. IMHO i have found that nothing sits better in the mix than an 8x10 cab. ive always played through an Ampeg, nice punch and really edgy sound. adding a 15 may get drowned out by the bass drum.

by adding 4 tens you will be moving more air than possible by a single 15, your low frequencies will not be as articulate(without a 15) but you will be rattling some bones for sure.

plus Dave Konopka from battles play through an SVT2 through 2 SVT410 hlfs and he competes with 2 guitars and 2 keys, sometimes simultaneously. Ive seen them live twice and he cranks that svt and everyone knows it.

battles plays a similar style of rock as you are referring to.

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Bi-amping will probably not be worthwhile, because you'll need different cabinets. Virtually all bass cabs are full-range cabs. To bi-amp, you would need separate subwoofer and midrange cabinets.

Have the guitarists turn down the bass...that will make the biggest difference, because the band will now have only one bassist. It costs nothing to do.

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Go and find a Schroeder 1212 to match with it. You'll have no problems from there on.

12. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Alright, next time we practice I'll ask them to turn down the bass. That may help. But even then, I'd like to add another cab to get more volume out of my head.

Should I match it up with another Mesa/Boogie 4x10? Or is there another cheaper, and hopefully lighter, option?

13. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    A naked 23-year-old Asian woman.

14. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    MESA is worth every penny cuz it keeps GAS down!

15. I have a Mesa 4x10 and a Mesa 1x15 and I think it is perfection.

Attached Files:

16. avatar 4x10. Avatar is a company that has gotten rave reviews, they seem to use the same, if not, better construction and parts than all of the high end companies, but charge half the price.

www.avatarspeakers.com

plus you can get custom tolex.You CAN'T find better bang for your buck.

17. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    +100 on MESA