Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would blow a transformer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmu, Jun 1, 2004.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I had previous postings about my Mesa M-Pulse's blown transformer... Anyways, mesa (best service ever!) sent me a new transformer!!! EVEN THOUGH IT WAS OUTSIDE THE WARRANTY PERIOD!!
    So, i am footing the repair bill... but I was wondering; what could have caused this problem? Is it indicative of greater evil lurking in my amp?

2. That's like asking, "What makes people die?" The answer is the same: LOTS of things.

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Maybe another transformer that's a little light in the loafers???
    :rollno:

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh no, you didn't! Hahaha!! :rollno:

5. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Some Mesa models seem to do that, it may be that the transformer ratings are a bit less than really needed. The transformer is generally only killed by heat, or really over-voltage conditions. Safety regulations require most transformers to have a cutoff that will open the circuit if it gets too hot.

Most transformers for good products have a self-resetting overtemperature protector in them. If too hot, it opens the circuit until things cool down, then re-closes. There are also "one-shot" units that only work once and are then permanently open.

Sounds like maybe Mesa saved 50 cents by using the kind that permanently open when overheated. That doesn't sound like the "old" Mesa Boogie, but times change..............

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Actually, I don't think it actually truly blew. It just started smelling funny and had some black stuff melt on it, but it was working fine. Mesa has protect circuits pretty much throughout most of their designs.

7. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Yes, there was still sound... however, for how long, and to what damage to the rest of the amp, I don't know.