1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would Chuck Berry say about your music?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Oct 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I never would have thought he considered any of that stuff. Thanks for sharing that link.

And to answer the question, he would probably like some of what I have done, and would have been completely unimpressed with other stuff. He would say it's all derivitive, because that's the truth.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    The man was right to be somewhat bitter. Some of the greats stole from him. It was a discovery many years after McCartney's bassline to "I Saw Her Standing There" spurred me to want to learn how to play the bass, to learn that Sir Paul directly ripped that riff and rhythm off of Berry's "I'm Talking About You." Identical. Zero difference. It's great that Berry inspired McCartney onward in that career, but Berry didn't get a shred of credit. Or payment I would guess. It's one thing to influence and another to steal.

4. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Beatles covered "I'm Talking About You" regularly in the Hamburg years. He musta found it too fun to play to give up.

5. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Good to know. And I suspect The Star Club, Top 10, The Indra and Kaiserkeller were all sending cash payments to Mr. Berry as cover fees!

6. Chuck in my opinion was never really recognized for his very significant contribution to guitar and rock and roll by the general public or even most musicians. His contributions run so deep that they are ubiquitous and we would have much of rock without Chuck. I hold Chuck in the pantheon of creators no less than Mozart, Beethoven, Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Miles, Jimi.

In answer to your question I don't think he would be negative. I was able to play with him once when he was barnstorming with pick up bands, got a few nods and smiles during the set and was the only one he did not cuss out after the show when getting paid, I was also the only one that got paid in full. Pays to do your homework and learn the friggin tunes.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  7. "My ears!!!"

BassCliff likes this.
  8. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

That was a good article, hadn't seen that interview before.

If Chuck Berry were to hear me play he'd probably say, "Nice shirt." ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

9. It stands to reason that Chuck gave him perhaps the most genuine praise. Dave Edmunds is steeped in traditional rock and roll straight from Berry's heydays. He's a bit of a cult hero in the British pub rock scene of the 80's, hanging out recording and touring with guys like Nick Lowe. Minor hit in the States with his cover of "I Hear You Knockin'." Records a lot of covers (like "Queen of Hearts"), mainly "singer-songwriter" material, and some interesting original material of his own. Produced the Stray Cats, plays a mean rockabilly twang guitar, natural tenor, great voice. If you like early/trad rock, his catalog is worth checking into, high production values.

10. Why single out McCartney, and why stop there? You could have made the same accusation against literally hundreds of musicians who ripped off Berry and went on to become superstars.

DiabolusInMusic and Ukiah Bass like this.
  11. I doubt he'd say much except:-

" I see you have two of my albums here......so what the he** is that crap you're playing?'...and then slap me upside the head.

Grumpynuts, JRA and BassCliff like this.
  12. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I love that article. Haven't seen it in years. I wish there were more interviews like this with legendary, established musicians commenting on punk, metal, alternative, indie music. Even though these genres are so different from what Chuck Berry plays, his comments are really insightful and spot on.

I think he would absolutely hate the vocals in my current band and not be too impressed with the music.

13. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

Hail Hail Chuck Berry!

14. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Agreed! Gotta check out Rockpile w/ Dave Edmonds and Nick Lowe. Great band and great songs.

GregC and bholder like this.
  15. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Chuck Berry would say the same thing about my music that I do - it sucks! :D

16. He would say:

Well I'm-a write a little letter
    I'm gonna mail it to my local D.J.
    Yeah and it's a jumpin' little record
    I want my jockey to play
    Roll over Beethoven
    I gotta hear it again today

You know my temperature's risin'
    The jukebox's blowin' a fuse
    My heart beatin' rhythm
    And my soul keep-a singing the blues
    Roll over Beethoven
    And tell Tchaikovsky the news

I got the rockin' pneumonia
    I need a shot of rhythm and blues
    I caught the rollin' athritis
    Sittin' down at a rhythm review
    Roll over Beethoven
    They rockin' in two by two

Well if you feel and like it
    Go get your lover then reel and rock it
    Roll it over then move on up, yes-a
    Try for further then
    Reel and rock with one another
    Roll over Beethoven
    And dig these rhythm and blues

Well early in the mornin'
    And I'm givin' you a warnin'
    Don't you step on my blue suede shoes
    Hey diddle-diddle, I'm-a play my fiddle
    Ain't got nothing to lose
    Roll over Beethoven
    And tell Tchaikovsky the news

You know she wiggle like a glow worm
    Dance like a spinnin' top
    She got a crazy partner
    You oughta see 'em reel an rock
    Long as she got a dime
    The music will never stop

Roll over Beethoven
    Roll over Beethoven
    Roll over Beethoven
    Roll over Beethoven
    Roll over Beethoven
    And dig these rhythm and blues

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    BassCliff likes this.
  17. What would Chuck Berry say about my music?

"I have no kick against modern jazz
    Unless you try to play it too darn fast
    And change the beauty of the melody
    Until it sounds just like a symphony"

18. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    And then again, Chuck Berry seemingly knicked the riff of "Johnny B. Goode" from "Ain't that just like a woman" by Louie Jordan and his Tympani Five.

DiabolusInMusic and JimmyThunder like this.
  19. Stifffingers

Stifffingers

Feb 21, 2014
    Dave Edmunds – one of my guitar heroes! Never got the acclaim of his contemporaries. Check out his early work with Love Sculpture for blistering blues standards, or “Sabre Dance” for something more avant garde. I still have their original “Blues Helping” LP which had a rounded cover sleeve.

121801-a.jpg

GregC, electracoyote and BassCliff like this.
  20. And those artists you named were surely influenced by musicians who came before them. And so it goes, which makes it sort of a silly game.

What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun.

(Ecclesiastes 1:9)

BassCliff and Groove Doctor like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021