What would happen if I covered my laminate bass in vynil stickers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by SteIIa, Apr 20, 2019.

1. SteIIa

SteIIa

Mar 5, 2018
    I had a wacky idea, but don't want to act on it. Now, hear me out, because your immediate knee jerk reaction will be: "What? No."

I have an old laminate bass that's pretty beat up and crappy. I'm gonna put a magnetic pickup on it, most likely (still deciding), and use it to play funk/motown type stuff.

How would the sound be affected if I covered the body of the bass in vynil stickers? The standard type of stuff you'd get at a tech convention or something. Would it still be fine for doing that kind of gig (keeping in mind that I am getting a separate bass for my jazz needs), or is this an idea I should abandon?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

If the goal is to use a magnetic mic with it it won't change much to the tone.
    Acoustically you will lose projection and sustain but I don't think it matters for such a project.

3. rickwolff

rickwolff Somebody. PLEASE MAKE ME STOP LOOKING AT BASSES??? Supporting Member

It will make a beat up crappy looking bass look like it has been further abused.

Beat up and crappy are battle scars it can wear proudly. Not so with the stickers.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would need to see the stickers before offering an opinion. :D

Cheez likes this.
  5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The rest of the DB community would ostracize you - with the possible exception of some psycho-billy players.

6. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    @SteIIa, just to be clear, what do you want to accomplish with the stickers?

If you just want to cover the "beat up and crappy look", stickers will probably accomplish that, but you and people you care about may be more troubled by the "sticker look" than by the "beat up and crappy" look. Also, keep in mind that the current finish on the bass, whatever the condition it is in, will probably at least partially come off with the stickers if you ever try to remove them.

If you're trying to modify (read: Mute) the acoustic tone, stickers will do that, but how much depends on your bass and on the stickers. The human ear is said to be unable to recognize less than a 10% difference in tone and/or volume, plus the human ear and brain are very subjective. So you may not notice a difference.

If you're trying to modify the pickup related sound, that will probably happen too, but you can make up for almost any difference with your amplification hardware.

I've seen and played some basses with stickers on them; aesthetically it isn't my favorite look, I do personally prefer the "beat up and crappy look", but either way, basses have their own charm and if you really enjoy playing them, how they look doesn't have to matter a whole lot.

7. What would happen is you’d look like a NASCAR driver.

8. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    If it's a decent bass and you want the rock a billy vibe, paint it with a sparkle finish

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It depends on the stickers. If you cover the bass with cool stickers that document the bass’ travels, that could be cool. If you slap on a Bud Lite logo next to a peace sign from the mall and some Batman junk, you will look tasteless and foolish. Maybe start with the back first?

10. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

The outcome would be you have one crazy looking Bass....this is the only sticker i ever had on my bass.... Screenshot_2019-04-21-10-41-05-1.png

11. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    The last sticker thread was here a few weeks ago.. Put stickers on a Bass??????

My favorite response was @DirtDog's... "if you have to ask about stickers, you aren't ready for stickers."

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021