Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would happen if i took a Musicman 5..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hollowteeth, Jul 13, 2005.

1. hollowteeth

hollowteeth

Jun 22, 2005
    London, UK
    ..and replaced the pickups with Bartolinis (humbucker and single coil) in the same position as a Lakland. Has anybody tried this ? Would it come pretty close to the sound of a Lakland ??

2. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I did exactly that back in '97 with a used MM5 I got a Bass Central back when there weren't any cheaper Laklands. I liked the spacing on the MM better too. Worked out well (actually, it's the bass in my profile pic) and used that bass for about 3 or 4 years before I started having stuff built.

Of course as Joshua said, now you can get a Lakland for what, around $600-$700? That would be a smarter move nowadays.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In the August Bassplayer (Daryl Jones cover), there is a guy in the "introduce yourself" section named Brian Ogawa with a SR5 that has had the original pickup removed and two Bartolini soapbars installed in its place. That bass made me do a double take when I saw it. I thought maybe he had a new HH Stingray instead!

4. hollowteeth

hollowteeth

Jun 22, 2005
    London, UK
    Interesting, thanks for the replies. i prefer 34" scale, so that made me think of a Musicman.
    Marcus - did the mods on your MM5 make a big difference to the sound ?

5. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yes, very much so. I used Barts and the Basslines preamp (the one with the "slap contour" switch). It was thicker and fatter than the stock MM pup. I may have a recording...I'll check and upload if so.

6. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Just found something. This is a demo montage from a live show in 1997. It was my first year at Legends in Concert, and right before the Daytona venue closed down, we recorded a show to ADAT to make a demo to shop the band around. As it turned out, we all ended up in Branson.

Anyway, it's a live recording with a few keyboard overdubs. The bass is that modified MM I was talking about, direct with no FX.

Live Legends Show

Hope that helps.

7. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Great playing Marcus.........

8. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Thanks for the kind words...that was a great band to play with...gone now tho :bawl: