What would happen if Victor Wooten, Steve Bailey, and Bill Dickens got together?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sunburstbasser, Mar 21, 2004.

1. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Check these vids, its each one of them taking a solo one after the other. Amazing. :eek: Victor Wooten

Steve Bailey

Bill Dickens

The sound quality is pretty good, the video quality isn't that great.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    they turn into Ynygwie Malmsteen?
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    those are the most unmusical solos I have ever heard. Wanking at it worst.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It's been done.

On the video "The day the bass players took over the world", you get to see Vic, Steve, Bill and Oteil Burbridger ripping it up.

Is it a must have? not really.
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    More Like Ynygwie + Vai + Satriani as G3 ;)
  7. Bill Dicken's new CD is suppost to be out before too long. Should be alot of good stuff on there. He can be very melodic if that's what the music calls for.

I believe Bill is also on Vic's new CD so I'll be looking for that one too.
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Then none of his solo material does? OK, I haven't heard much of it, but IMO that guy needs to control his spasms. It gets old quite fast. Dude can play though, no doubt about that!
  9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Then I guess you aren't familiar with Vic's work.

You can't even really hear what's really going on very clearly because the recording is so poor.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The thing about Buddha is that he is most known for his solo wankery, whereas vic, also known in large for his chops, is equally known as "that really good bassist that plays with bela fleck". In The flecktones, Vic is extremely tasteful and solid the majority of the time, only taking some wankery room in his solos. On vic's first album, he was just having some fun. On all his subsequent albums, there are a couple wanky tracks, but the majority are very pleasing to the ear.

I can't say the same about buddha, I have listened to everything he has on his site, and while a couple tracks were VERY nice, and VERY tasteful, more of them were just utter wankdom. Another thing is, Buddha blows vic out of the water in terms of insanely fast slapping, but that hinders it, because his wankery becomes little more than really friggin fast clickity noises, whereas you more often than not see vic just messing around, having a good time, and not going overboard. Buddha is KNOWN for going overboard, and that's the big difference to me.
  11. Well, we have to remember it is NAMM afterall. ;)

Most people are going to be wowed by all of his chops and not go for the musicality of it.

Check the stuff on his website out. It'll show you that he really can groove and be very melodic.
  12. Yeah, I would agree with you on this.

My teacher is a former student of Bill's and still keeps in touch with him. He has monster chops that some find overboard. But he also has a deep knowledge of theory and music. He can throw down a chordal melody just as smokin' as his pop and slapping.

Most people know him for his pop and slap. That's why it's pretty much all you ever see.
  13. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    from time to time i see post's like this on this forum and other's dealing with bill dickens,as a guy who has had the chance to know bill for a long time AND play gig's with some of the same people as him therefor having to learn his part's let me say that those "over the top" chops and "spasams" are supported with one of the deepst groove sense i ever heard.bill can and does play with a simple, solid but strong groove,but if you have only heard/seen bill at namm or jams sessions you have no real idea about what the man can do
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Oo, what I wouldn't pay to see that gig!

Or maybe John McLaughlin With Trilok Gurtu or Zakir Hussain.

Dickens is definitely on my list of bassists to go see live because I don't think he's well represented on these videos he's been on recently.

I've mentioned it in another thread, but it seems like all musical taste he purportedly has gets buried under huge chops. He may have a million different musical ideas, but everything sounds the same if played at a thousand notes per minute.

I've seen Vic, Anthony Jackson, Michael Manring and Richard Bona play and while they're not up there with Dickens on speed, there seems to be a lot more heart in their playing. I'm not saying it's the case, but B.D. sometimes gives me the impression he lets his hands do the thinking.

I really want to see him live. though. First, to see someone wield a 7 stringer, but mostly to see him in a real setting and interacting with real players.
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    True, these vids are particularly wanky. I will be buying the Buddha's CD.
  16. I feel three times as humbled about my own particular rockingness.
  17. id rather watch joe satriani live in sanfransico, or the led zeppelin dvd, or george bensen...not many bass solo's interest me that much, not to mention wooten :meh: ...but i love stu hamm on the satch dvd, pea (flea), most of jaco's stuff, all of claypools.....

But to me wooten is quite...dull, uninteresting...i find most of bootsy's riffs more interesting than wooten, wooten just seems to remind me of malmsteen, who i dont like either.....

But oh well, thats just my opinion
  18. Now, people diss satch (not satchmo ;) ), vai and malmsteen. Seriously, although Vai is definitely the greatest performer and most creative/emotional player of the three...I think that Satriani's music has a lot of merit...my friend calls it "elevator music" but I personally love it. I saw him live and I pretty much could have turned my Crystal Planet cd on loud and wouldnt hear a difference, but I really like his melodies and his solos, although fast, are respectful within his own songs contexts. As for malmsteen (being a sucker for the romantics' music) I do enjoy a lot of his stuff, but its true Id rather hear a hillarious/joyful/sorrowful/great vai album than Yngwie's. Anyway, the point is ...well i forget...well maybe it was that wooten can wank all he wants..he has that right, but that doesn't take away from his musicianship, its all about context. I dont know much about dickens so i cant comment, bailey...kinda boring on his own...but hey...
  19. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    no one seems to have said anything about steves solo on here. I liked that one the best. i could hear it the best with the poor recording, and thought it was very musical. no one else thought so? or i could have missed someone saying it...happens :rolleyes:

20. I agree, Steve ripped it up the best, but then again Steve can always floor me with those harmonics and chords. That super fast slap spaz that Dickens did just remided me of Fieldy trying too hard, but I liked everything else. It was Vic at his usual, nothing I haven't heard by him before.