Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would happen if...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 16, 2001.

1. ....you put a 24 fret neck on a Fender or Squier, which normally has a 21 fret neck??

2. you'd have a very hard time trying to intonate it properly- the bridge saddles would have to be moved much closer towards the neck- or the whole bridge would have to be repositioned.
    the tone would change too, as the pickups would now be placed differently as regards sweetspots on the strings.
    (unless the 24fret neck had the extra frets on a fretboard overhang eg. Moses Graphite necks)

um, do any Fenders or Squiers actually have 21 frets? I thought it was just 20 on the standards or 22 on the deluxe /Roscoe Beck5 (and 24 on the Stu Hamm bass).

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's an excellent question, and an equally excellent answer. I had the mobius-strip-like neck replaced on my '93 Fender Precision Deluxe and, of course, they don't have any old '93 necks layin' around up in Corona, so I had to have a '98 neck put on it. I won't go into the HUGE hassle it was getting the neck from Fender, but anyway, it turned out that, while both necks are 22-fret necks, the new one was slightly longer (or was it shorter?). Fortunately the difference in length wasn't unmanageable for the luthier who did the work, and we didn't have to move the bridge. He did have to shorten the saddle adjuster screws, though. OK, good-bye.

4. interesting, Munjibunga.
    I've got a '92 Fender Precision Plus, which I think was the model that preceded the Deluxe Plus that you have. (mine has a scratchplate and is passive)

it's got a slim 22fret neck, and I thought you'd be able to put a current Precision Deluxe (graphite reinforced) neck on it without any adjustment, or any hassle.
    but Arbiter, the UK Fender distributors, said they wouldn't supply one, due to "copyright reasons", and they only supply an identical neck, and charge £50 to fit it.:mad:
    in the end I had graphite rods put in the existing neck by Martin Petersen at the Gallery (Sei Basses), and an ebony fretboard put on.
    unfortunately in the five years since, the vintage size frets have worn down severely- I'm looking for a new neck now.........

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Some of the companies out there need to rethink their business policies. It's not good business to turn your back on current customers in order to earn more of their money.