What would happen if.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilks, Sep 24, 2002.

1. What would happen if i were to try to run a discman through my 400 watt 410 bass cab?

I've heard this works but I'm not sure how the cabinet would handle it. Would it hurt it?

Is this okay or is it just the dumbest thing you've ever heard?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this would involve getting an adaptor and running the speaker cable directly into the discman.
  2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Considering the power your discman headphone jack puts out VS. the power required to make the speakers in your 410 do anything, you will get little or nothing in volume.................and then your discman will melt. ;) :D
  3. haha yeh i just figured with a little experimenting(though my discman didn't melt). I tried running it through the head and i got a lot of nice volume. It sounded pretty good.

But is this not a good idea? Could doing this hurt my head or cab?
  4. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    No its fine.. you aren't hurting anything by doing that
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've had no problems with a similar setup - MiniDisk to amp head to cabinet; it's not worse for your amp than playing your bass plugged into it. You'll get a different sound to through your headphones, and it will be in mono, but it will work and will let you pump it up nice and loud.

The only danger I can see is if you're sending a very clipped signal (volume up full on the discman so it sounds painfully distorted) and then turning up the controls on your amp to 11....

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Sorry. I thought you meant just powering the cab itself with your discman. Not running it into a amp head first. This should cause no problems but it probably won't sound very good.........or your discman will melt. :eek: :p