Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what would happen

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jieshi, Sep 1, 2002.

1. jieshi

jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    what would happen if i restrung my strings wrongly

i just restrung my strings .. i think its alright ..

but it sounds clanky .. but perhaps cost they are new.. and seem to buzz abit more then before ( just alittle).. but no prob .. just need to shift my fingers alittle bit to make it stop..

:p anyway i think they will be alright after some time right ??

goodday

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just a couple of the simpler things that could be going on, jieshi.....(don't want to get into the heavy duty aspects yet);

- After tuning your strings WITH a tuner to pitch, did you pull up each string a bit at the 12th fret, let go, and let each string snap down against the fret board??? This helps them settle in and seat in the nut slots better.

- Perhaps you went to heavier gauge strings or strings with thicker cores. This will change the amount of stress on your instrument.
    Typically, this requires you to adjust the truss rod(s) and/or bridge saddles.....especially if the neck lacks graphite stabilizing rods.

Moreover, if the new strings are thicker gauges, they will obviously be closer to the fret wires and will probably require you to adjust your action.

If the strings are identical to the old strings that didn't produce all the noise you're now experiencing - yeah- leave them on for a day or so and see if things settle out.

3. Sound advice rickbass.

New strings do sound a bit clangy, or "bright", give them a bit to get some sweat in them! :p

:D:D

Merls