Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Would I Gain with a 1x15??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jul 31, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

i'll be stopping by Nick's shop in the next few days picking out my new "high volume" rig.

i'm thinkin' of a 2x10 + 3x10 rig, to give me the most punch and maximize my later medium gig options. but thought maybe i should go with a 1x15 instead of the 2x10.

what would the 15" give me, a guy with many a predilection for that low B groovin'? also, if i ran whatever combo of cabs in series, would i run into some SPL / volume issues? i could go parallel, but my Peavey DPC only cranks out about 500 watts @ 4 ohms.

any thoughts?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There are many myths about speaker size. Most people will tell you the 15 will give you more bottom than 10s, this may or may not be the case depending on the exact cabs you choose.

What is likely is that the TONALITY of the 15 will be centered more in the low mids than a cab with 10s.

The real question when adding a second cab is do you want more of the same (i.e. just get another cab like the one you have already) or something to compliment some aspect of the first cab that you find lacking.

Take your rig down to the shop, just try different cabs hooked up to it and use your ears.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I like the 115 / 210 set up I use.

I think it's a good balance.

The 115 provides nice "boomy" feel to the stage rig, not lower - just heavier and more dub sounding. The 210 gives me nice clear hi/mids.

I really just bought the 115 first and when I decided to add a cab, I didn't want just more of the same (like brianrost said).

Actually, I detest 215s so I doubt I'd like a 2x115 set up. I went for a mix of the thud (115) and bang (210) and from time to time I add some blam (112).

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx Bri,

i guess i should stop yappin' about it, just go down there, and do it!

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

A nice big box that would have plenty of room for you, the band and all your friends, to put their drinks on, during the gig!! ;)

6. What would you gain? I would say back ache!;) :D

Regards

Matthew

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    less articulation and punch a little more warmth and thud. i never add my fifteen for more depth or volume just a different texture.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Depends on the 15. I've heard muddy 15's... OTOH I own several that are punchy and articulate. I've usually gone with complimenting cabs when I use two, a 1-15 under a 2-10, 1-10, VL-110 (3 way cab) or 1-12. Usually sounds great.

At around 40 lbs. none of my 15 cabs cause any backache;)

9. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Since you have a 2 channel Poweramp, biamping might be a decent option using a 15.

You could send the lows to the 15 and the highs to the 3x10. By sending only lows to the 15 (lets say 100hz and under), you would eliminate any "mud" that the 15 would put out in the low mids.

A 15 is going to sound much tighter if only the lows are sent to it. I would recommend using a crossover point no higher than 100hz since you are using a 30hz low B.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

More booty.

A 15" has more square inches of cone area than a 2x10" and typically handles lower Hz's.

10's are just too middy for me, although I have some to complement my 15".

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    (Shameless plug mode ON)

FWIW, I have an Aguilar 1x15 in the "for sale" section, excellent condition with padded cover, $350 plus shipping . . .

(Shameless plug mode OFF)

I think 1x15's give a different tonality to the bottom, a more rounded, thicker low end, as well as more low end at higher volumes before "farting".

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My loud rig used to be a 4x10 with a 2x10. Not any more. Now it's a 4x10 with a 15. Why? I found I could go much louder without sarcificing bottom end. And instead if adding low EQ, I actually find myself cutting it and still having more bottom end that before. At High volume, cutting low frequencies is much healthier for your speakers than adding them. The speakers don't work so hard any more and thefore soud more transparent and clean.

If I were you, I'd go the 15 and 3x10.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, right to the point. i like that! thx Pete.

anyone else wanna second this motion?

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Too blunt? Sorry. I used the big rig last night for the the first time in months and I must have forgotten what it was capable of. I'm still on a bit of a high.... :)

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Depends on a lot of factors: brand, cab type, room acoustics, etc.

FWIW, my experience is with Bergantino. I prefer 3x10/2x10 indoors, and 3x10/1x15 outdoors.

As mentioned, it's wrong to say that 15" cabs have lower frequency response than 10". The opposite is often true (which is the case with bergs). However a 15" cab does usually offer a certain "girth" that makes it sound lower even if it doesn't actually go lower.

16. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    this "girth" you are speaking of...

i completely agree, but ive grown to think more generally about it... more surface area=more "girth". i got more girth with an 18 than i did with a 210, but then i got more girth with a 610 than i did with the 210+18 setup. the surface area of the drivers for each respective setup is greater than the previous. i think the girth feeling might have something to do more with air volume displaced than the size of the driver displacing it. so your 310, (assuming a flat speaker cone-very inaccurate, but still) would be about 3*5^2*pi, about 75*pi. a 15 would compare at about 1*7.5^2*pi, or 56.25*pi. so you might notice that the 310 moves more air. this of course depends on how far each driver throws out, and the angle of the cone as well. i assumed that all drivers would throw out a similar distance and have perfectly flat cones for ease of computation. your ears, and your chest will tell you.

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Once I got my pair of Aguilar GS-112s I got rid of my Trace Elliot 15". One cabs, doesn't get as much bass as a 15", but a two can do the job fine. I have had a 15" in my big rig since the 80's, but i find them to be heavy, so I don't use em anymore.

BUT, I found that Bag End makes a 15" that weighs 44 lbs. That's only 5 lbs more than one of my Aggies. If it has that 15" sound that I have in my head, I may get one. The 15"s give a great vintage tone when used as a lone cab. No horn needed, because they didn't have em back then. Anyone with any opinions on the Bag End 15 ?

18. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    SWR's Son of Bertha 1x15 weighs in around 60 pounds and is shorter in height than most 1x15s I see. Usually 1x15 cabinets are taller and heavier.

So I'm wondering how it would compare to something like an Aguilar GS115 or Ampeg BXT (I think) 1x15 that looks to be noticeably larger.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx for all the great info guys!

i guess i will be going with a 1x15. i just joined a new trip/hop/soul band, and i think the 1x15 would be a great companion for the dub like tones i need.

oh, it'll be an Epifani UL, so it wont weigh much more than the carton it'll come in. ;)

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Please le us know how that Ultralight goes. UI'm very curious.