What would I have to do to get a Palatino EUB to sound like this????

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by rickwolff, Dec 13, 2016.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff ‘Leave the clams in, let ’em know we're human,' Supporting Member

Sell my soul maybe?

I used to have an Eminence 5ver and really liked it but sold it.

I've been thinking ever since of getting another EUB for nights like tonight when I am super Low-energy and going to just bring my slab to the jam session because I am a little under the weather and don't feel like hauling my DB. If I had a light (and cheap) EUB that sound as good as this recording I think that would be sweet.

Thoughts? Other than maybe he's chanelling Jaco?

GKon likes this.
  2. rickwolff

And here's CMD playing a Yamaha silent bass which I think also sounds very good. Mucho mas dinero, however.

3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Inactive

Nov 20, 2000
    Harrison Mills
    He has a really nice touch but judicious use of a pretty sounding reverb (the T-Rex Roommate is my fav) is a big part of what's going on too with that Palantino. He also has a lot of that clicky percussive mid rolled off. CMD's Yamaha doesn't sound like there's reverb on it but that bass has a sound chamber which kinda captures some of what a reverb can do on a solid body bass. David Friesen has used reverb on his EUB for many years but with less mid scoop so it's a little more percussive sounding.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Both sound OK in this setting to me. Also never heard a Parker Fly sound good like that before. Maybe it has something to do with the players?

5. rickwolff

So you're saying it's hopeless, chris? Lol

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I keep thinking that the tone of those instruments wouldn't sound so good if the intonation wasn't so tight, or if the time wasn't so strong. The rest of us mortals tend to fall back on our acoustic tone!

7. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Unrelated to the bass playing (which is very good), Dean Brown (playing the Parker Fly) could make a 2X4 strung with bailing wire sound fantastic.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.