1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would I lose? What would I gain? GK to GB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Feb 28, 2008.

1. This thread may be slightly redundent but here goes.

My current rig is a GK1001RB-II into a 410 and a 115 RBH. I also use an RBI preamp. I am very happy with this rig but every time I see a picture of a Genz Benz 750 or 1200 ....man....the brain starts whirring and GAS starts building. I love the looks of the GB and the front panel looks very interesting. The local store that sells Genz has never had either of these heads in that I know of so I have never been able to even try them out. If I were to purchase one it would be ordered without a try out.

So what would I gain/lose by moving to a 750 or a 1200 GB? Or is it a sideways move?

My first guess is that I would not need the RBI. As much as I like my GK the GBs seem to be a lot more.....hmmm....:meh:sophisticated?

Thoughts?

2. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Seems like a pretty sideways move to me. The GB heads are very powerful so it seems. You will gain the ability to overdrive the tube channel on the 750/1200, but you do have an RPM which allows for that to a certain degree (I only have experience w/ the RBI). See if you can find a GB dealer nearby.

3. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I wouldn't do it without getting the chance to hear those heads first. You're happy now, so don't mess with it just because of what you see and what you hear people say.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Ha! We all need to learn to do that. I'm afraid it'll never happen for me...

5. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    GK has a distinctive tone that you admit you like. Moving to another head will be different. You might like it more, but then again you might not. I wouldn't chance it without knowing for sure. And I'm a Genz player.

6. You really have to try it first.
    I once ordered a bass from America because it looked nice but when it arrived I knew within a day that I didn't want it.
    I have learned my lesson.

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    +1. And I'm a Genz endorser. Gallien Krueger is world-class gear that has rocked (and jazzed, and funked, etc) venues of all sizes from tiny to stadiums, all over the world for years. Genz is ultra-fine gear, and my choice ... but you do have solid gear that you like. Try some Genz stuff when you can ... you may love it like I do, or you may decide to stick with your great GK setup. Either way, you win, and you make an informed decision.

Cheers

8. gismo

gismo

Oct 11, 2005
    La Mirada, CA
    Geez. GB users are as sophisticated as their machinery. If the question was flipped, I would be rooting as loud as I could for GK. Ha. These guys are right though, there's no way around it, you've gotta try the GB first.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Its hard to not want to constantly "upgrade" when we see something new and exciting. I have recently considered getting rid of my Eden gear to fund GB but have never even tried any GB gear except for their 610 cab which really didn't do it for me.

But then I remind myself how much I love my tone now and how much it cost me to own the gear I have now. I think your GK rig would be killer. Only you can decide what you must have and what you can live without.

10. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I agree with all of the above. You don't dislike your GK rig so there really isn't a reason to change. I would say if you can find some in stock go play and let that make your decisn. There is a lot of great gear out there but all of it isn't for everybody. Go try it. I love my my GBE1200, it's heavy true but what a rock solid tone and feel. I love the Shuttle 6.0 because who doesn't like 600 watts at 3.75 pounds. That's my opinion so go listen to it if you can. I do have a few youtube videos up thatcan give a little idea of what the Genz stuff sounds like. But unless you play through it yourself it really doesn't help.

IMG_1037-1.

11. 2Loud4You

2Loud4You

Jan 18, 2008
    Norcross, GA
    There's not really anything I can add other than I wasn't a GK kinda guy and love my GBE 1200. You really like your tone so stick with it unless you can play a GB with your bass. Actually, you need to play a GB with your bass into your cabs to see how it sounds if you did a head swap.

12. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    I've played a GK 700rbII for the last 4 years and got the bug and bought a GBE 750. After 3 gigs I'm still not sure I have it dialed in right. It kinda sounds like a GK on steroids but I still sounds too big at times. This is mostly user inexeperience but I kinda feel like a 1001rb would've given me what I needed and I could have saved a several hundred bucks. I need more time with it to be sure and I'm anxious to hear it with a different bass. Hope this helps.

13. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I think it takes time to reach an agreement with any new gear. I know there were things I was doing wrong and wasn't getting the tone I should have been getting. It also takes time to allow yourself to let the gears strength come out instead of trying to make it sound like the gear that was replaced.

14. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    Good points, I played a huge room last night with no PA support, just the GBE 750 and my 2 EA NL210 cabs and the Genz sounded incredible. I was glad I had the head room.

15. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I was a GK guy until I played a GBE400, FWIW.

As everyone else said, you've just gotta try it. No one's going to slam you for owning GK gear, as already has been said, it's world class stuff.

16. Ya....it's just the GAS! lol

17. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi guys, just to add on the list, I am also at this crossroad as well. My trip to NAMM last January opens me up to 2 newer things. I have used and liked GK a lots (1001rb-2) and neo cabs. However, GK is about to release a comparable head that was real loud and as small as the Shuttle heads by this summer.

I want to wait .. but on the other hand .. got great deals on GB as well. Love both of them during the NAMM try-outs just that I don't know should I grab the GB first .. or bear it longer to wait for GK?

18. The trouble with waiting for GK is that sometimes there is no end to the waiting. Case in point - the Fusion 550. It was announced close to 1.5 or 2 years ago and no sign of it yet. GK says this spring but we will see. Yes GK wants to get it right but IMO when it was originally announced it should have been released shortly thereafter. It seems though that they were almost just starting to design/engineer it. So is this new GK lightweight head close to release or still in the tinkering/design stage? That is the dilemma. :meh:

19. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Having owned both heads, my opinion is that the GK's are very smooth and full sounding, however a little too compressed and veiled (somewhat mushy) for my taste. Don't get me wrong they sound great, and alot of great players use them, they're just not my cup of tea, so I no longer own one.

To me, the Genz Benz heads are alot faster and punchier than a GK, but also abit more sterile and stiff sounding than a GK. Agian, I really like them, but they didn't quite do it for me either. (I sold my GB750 and still have a GBE-600).

Between the two of them, I prefer the Benz, but I'm an old fart that still always plays thru tube amps (ala SVT, Sunn, Fender etc.) in order to be completely happy. SVT's seem to give me the smoothness of the GK and the punch of the Benz, with alot more dynamics than either.

In conclusion, if you like your rig now, i wouldn't change a thing. Switching gear gets really expensive and after spending a whole lot of dough, often you can end up buying again what you already had.

2 cents....

20. BigNoise

BigNoise

Nov 19, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Heres an idea.... take the money you would have used to buy the new GB gear and buy a new bass!!!! then its a win/win situation