What would jaco be playing now?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Karl shott, Aug 27, 2002.

1. What kind of bass guitar do you think "The Worlds Greatest Bass Player", would be playing if he was still around and able to play. Also, what kind of music do you think he would be listening to? (If you want to see some cool pics of jaco and billy sheehan, go to Billy's web site....you wil not be disapointed!);)
  2. I think he would still play his defretted jazz bass because this one is a big part in his own unique sound and style.
    I could also imagine he would be playing some crazy 9-stringer or sth. like just for widen his horizon
  3. He would have evovled beyond bass and picked up the kazoo! :rolleyes:

Just think of how Byrdland would sound on it. :p

Mike J.
  4. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    he'd have a jaco sig. fender! :p

id say he would use his old jazz. maybe a new jazz for backup purposes.. or maybe hed have moved on.. sadowsky!? who knows..
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I hink he's be disgusted that Fender made a Signature Model & h'e whole-heartedly switch to an Ibanez SoundGear SR-300:D :D ;)
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    he was toying with a fiver in his last years, so i say a Defretted jazz V :D
  7. I don't think it'd matter, he'd make it sound good no matter what.

In all seriousness, I think he'd be playing his Jazz, a Jazz 5er, or maybe a Sadowsky
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I think he would play punk dirt jazz in a dark club on an old plywood doublebass he found in a container.

Remember, his musical skills died before his head was bashed.... Drowned, I'd say.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well the last thing that Jaco was trying to get released was "Holiday For Pans, where he wasn't playing bass at all.

I think if you follow his career, he was gradually getting more and more into large-scale or orchestral things where he was involved in the arrangements, but bass playing wasn't necessarily involved.

I mean we know he liked Stravinsky and quoted from his work - I think he would have been into contemporary Classical - and just as Dave Holland has had a "concerto" piece written for him by the British Contemporary Classical composeer "Marc Anthony Turnage" , I imagine Jaco writing/playing similar serious works/collaborations with large Orchestras.
  10. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    whatever it would be....

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There has already been a thread on this topic. He would not be using his old fretless, because he smashed it in a fit of rage. Though I do think he would have played some extended range basses. During his time, they were not available yet, so of course he only used 4 strings!
  12. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Wow I heard It was stolen did I get the watered down version?

13. I thought someone glued it back together. I heard he smashed it and then one of his friends/luthiers glued it back together. Fenders are pretty sturdy beasts, so I don't think it'd be that hard, also I heard that's why it looked so banged up in the old photos.
    Legend goes he threw it into the ocean while he was in Japan at one time....maybe I'm just confused, I don't know...
  14. how did he die, anyway?

ive heard too many different stories
  15. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The same way Bruce Lee died :D
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hate to use a tired old phrase, but do a search in "bassists".
  17. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    an allergic reaction to canibus? i don't see jaco kicking the bucket b/c he was toking on a fattie.
  18. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Jazz covers of Blink songs??? On a Hoppus sig bass???
  19. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Probably nothing, addicts live in the past and just let everything go as time goes on. Like said on this thread, his skills were nil when he was killed in a bar in the south by a bouncer kicking him out be cause he was drunk. It is said he told the bouncer "I'm jaco Pastorius don't you know who I am". What a $@#&*# waste!