1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would neck studs do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Oct 11, 2013.

1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    OK, so I am not sure were to post this, as it is probably a stupid question (as usual), but here goes...

What negative effects would neck studs have?

I believe that is the correct term in english. If I was to drill out the screw holes that the neck screws screw into, and replace these with threaded inserts, and then attach the neck with bolts instead of screws, what would be the outcome??

2. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Is this so that you can replace necks many times without ruining the threads?

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    It is because I travel so often, that I would like to be able to remove an replace the neck to fit it in a suitcase.

I already have to travel with two suitcases, so a bass case is not an option.

Note: I would only do this to my cheap travel bass.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Many feel that they're a stronger, more solid way to mount the neck to the body.

5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Check the Luthier sections - this topic - and side-effects - comes up from time to time.
    The phrase you are looking for is 'threaded insert.'
    Since it's a fairly common technique, I'd guess it can't be too bad, although I expect there are subtleties, as well as a variety of materials (brass, stainless, aluminum...).

6. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    I have neck bolt inserts in one of my basses; it made a very noticeable difference in the punch, sustain, and clarity of the instrument. I wouldn't do it to a bass that I didn't want to be very punchy and clear and modern sounding (like say an old P-bass), but it was perfect for the particular instrument I used.

Definitely recommended if you want to be able to take the neck off easily. Use stainless steel, though, if you'll be doing a lot of repeated disassembly. The brass are softer and can mar more easily - especially with a harder bolt.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Your bass will attract more niñas! :)

8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    They would get into as many neck pockets as possible.

9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks guys, I am checking out the Luthiers corner now. Seems like this may solve my problem!

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    [​IMG]

Neck studs? What neck studs?

11. Pheasant23

Pheasant23

Oct 11, 2013
    NO,
    Neckstud: is a small village in Romania! Really good coffee their!

12. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    What would neck studs do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They'd make you look seriously groovy. :rollno:

There are no stupid questions, but we do our best to come up with stupid answers!! :D