1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would sound like a Hofner Beatle bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hi all,

I just got back from the "family cruise" vacation. On the cruise ship they had a Beatles tribute band, and the "Paul" guy was playing a bass that looked like a Hofner, but the bottom of the headstock had a piece that curved out - kind of like an "ESP" guitar - so maybe it was a Korean made copy - I've read a few threads indicating there is some kind of Hofner Beatle bass copy out there - can anybody tell me what this is so I can check it out? Also, the guy was using a GK head - it looked like a GK1001RB-II, but that's only because the RB-II is the only GK I've owned and I don't know if they all look the same. He was playing through a Hartke transporter 4X10 cab with the aluminum cones. The tone was unbelievable. So, I starting thinking that I would like to have a "Beatle Bass" tone, but without the Beatle bass look. I just couldn't handle playing a Beatle bass, but I would love to have the same tone. Does anybody know if there is a hollow body bass that would sound like the Beatle bass, but look differerent?

Thanks - Skel

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    maybe a Grestch bass?

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok - I see now that "Rogue" is the copy and the headstocks between the Rogue and the Hofner are pretty much identical (esp from a distance), so I don't know what the guy was playing...could have been another copy as well. The guy was using a pick (he was right handed), and it sounded really good with a pick, I might add.

Seeing that the Rogue is so cheap - is this an exclusive MF brand, and is it a playable instrument? I've heard it is actually (in some people's opinions) more playable and better balanced than the Hofner. Any opinions welcome. I'd like to have something that sounds like this bass, but looks different. If that is not possible I would consider getting a Rogue if it's playable and really has that Beatle bass tone.

Skel

4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Dude, I hate to say it, but hit search. This has been covered.

I'll reiterate though, in case my testimonial suffices:

I have one...I love it. Yes, it makes THAT sound. It's very playable, and a good quality instrument. First thing I did was take the fatuous round wounds off it, and put flats on it.

Frankly, if you want THAT sound, it has to be flats.

Once that was done, I was a Beatle...and for cheap too.

:bassist:

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yep, there are plenty of threads to be found about this with the search engine.

Type: hollowbody, rogue, hofner, short-scale, etc.

I also have a Rogue, and it sounds and play absolutely fantastic. I put a set of TI flats strings, and that was it. Didn't need a setup at all . Low action, no buzzing.

If you don't want the violin shape, Hofner makes the Club bass, which is shaped like a single-cut guitar.

There is also Dipinto Guitars, Waterstone Guitars, and Jay Turner (which make other semi-hollowbodies besides the Beatle bass.)

BTW, most current Hofner copies and very good: Rogue, Jay Turser, Epiphone, and Rondo Music.

So you know, what you are looking for is a hollow body or semi-hollow body bass with magnetic pickups.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Thanks for the responses. Sorry if this is so redundant. I was also trying to express my opinion that you don't have to want to doing a Beatle trubute thing to get excellent tone - these basses would work very well for any kind of music.

As long as one person says the Rogue plays well, etc. that's all I need and I'll buy one. I don't even care anymore that it looks like a Beatle bass - don't get me wrong, I love the looks of the bass, and the Beatles - I just thought it would be cool to have the tone but not be copying McCartney so much, and I'm sure I could find a nice hollow body that was not a Beatle bass copy, but then I think it would end up costing more than I want to spend.

Skel

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    BTW - I might as well ask this again so I know: Is "Rogue" a brand that is sold exclusively through Musician's Friend?

8. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    yes

9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Here's the skinny:

All made by the same Korean manufacturer (although, of the brand names mentioned above, the only one I can't say this for certain about is Epi).

Buy the cheapest one.

I have a Rogue.

10. i own a Jay Turser JTB-2B (beatle bass) and it really is a nice instruments. String it with some labella or even Fender 9050L SS Flatwound and there you got a close to perfection beatle sound.

I suggest you have a look at other reviewers before buying... here are a few links that might help you

http://www.music123.com/Jay-Turser-Guitars-JTB2B-i85258.music

http://jayturser.com/bass-guitars1.htm#

ho and BTW, if you get one... they come with a floating bridge already set up for intonation - just tune up and go! it's a great time saver.

If you plan on replacing the strings, replace them one at a time to avoid bridge falling off....after puting the 9050L on, i barely had to touch the bridge for intonation i could have just let it that way..

11. If you plan on replacing the strings, replace them one at a time to avoid bridge falling off....after puting the 9050L on, i barely had to touch the bridge for intonation i could have just let it that way..[/QUOTE]

That is a BIG +1! I usually replace strings 1 at a time anyway as there is less chance of the nut falling off if it was glued and has gotten loose or the truss rod slipping or anything that might be loose in general from reorienting itself in a way that might be "troublesome".....

Peace,

T