1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would this cab end up sounding like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robotic, Jan 9, 2012.

1. robotic

robotic

Apr 14, 2010
    A friend of mine gave me an old traynor ysc-3 pa speaker cabnet for free and it's been sitting in my basement for a year. It has no speakers in it.

The ysc3s were a 4x8 column style of cabnet. It's solid plywood and actually quite heavy.

Anyway, I was thinking if popping some 8" drivers in there and using it as a home practice cab, but I'm not sure how the tall skinny cabnet shape would project bass frequencies.

What do you think? Crappy idea? Cheers!

Here is a ysc 3:

http://www.yorkville.com/print.asp?type=71&cat=46&id=297#ysc3

2. robotic

robotic

Apr 14, 2010
    anybody?

3. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    It would have narrow dispersion vertically, and have very broad dispersion horizontally well up into the midrange when standing up. That was the design objective of dolumn PA speakers, to control vertical dispersion to avoid ceiling a floor reflections, and to spread the sound out horizontally for maximum room coverage. The dispersion pattern would follow the orientation of the cabinet, with increased coupling to the floor when laid down sideways. Depending the your driver selection, your maximum output capability may be limited, but it would make a great practice cabinet, being nearly omnidirectional over a broad range of low and mid low frequencies and broad mid, upper mid dispersion in the horizontal axis.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    8's that can make a lot of bass can be hard to come by without spending a lot of money, but, the physical box design is better than most bass cabs. Having the drivers all vertical like that spreads the sound wide in front of the cab. Measure it's internal size, perhaps some beta's will do alright in there.

5. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    $200 for the speakers. I don't think you'd get performance out of the cab to warrant the cash outlay. If you are someone who's willing to do this sort of thing out of curiosity go right ahead. I could see myself doing something like that, but I don't think it would be cost effective. Not particularly good for five strings.

What I know of old Traynor/Yorkville cabs, the cab is not going to be very deep, 6" - 7", but perhaps not too bad with eight inch speakers.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I think if you're going to spend 4-6 hunnert dollars on speakers, for a vertical 4x8, its probably worth the effort to build a box from scratch, to get the size, porting/tuning, weight, where you want to.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The beta will be losing response pretty fast below 100hz in pretty much any practical box size, higher than that if you run them sealed, but, they're likely about as good as you're going to get in anything that's widely available and affordable. Faital makes a good long excursion 8 that can reach deeper, but it's also really expensive, to the point it's pointless. The beta's will likely sound like a better version of an SWR Henry cab. Not much for deep bass, but punchy as can be with good upper mid response.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

+1

9. robotic

robotic

Apr 14, 2010
    Those betas were what i had been looking at putting in there actually. i had priced it out, and was not too sure if i wanted to go ahead or not.

however it might be affordable in the long run, seeing as how you could never buy a cab for 200 bucks where i'm from.

all i would use it for would be a practice, low volume gigs, with a GK mb200. (that i don't own yet)

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Home practice? I'd look into a Crazy8, in fact, I just might do that sometime...the only cab I have to practice with at home is a Avatar 112SB, and to my ears its always been a dog. That's why I play with headphones.

11. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I use what ever's handy. One room has my trusty old Fender RAD Bass (BXR 25, Rumble 25, the same basic amp has had a lot of names), one room has a Traynor Bassmate combo with an Eminence S2010 (see my link above) replacing the crappy 15" speaker and the last room has a small PA that I just plug into.

The S2010 is in a 1.25 ft^3 cab ported to around 55 Hz. It sounds good. It also models very nicely in the cab I linked above, but I haven't finished one yet. I've heard one and it was good. It's a very nice speaker for bass guitar. The RAD Bass is plenty for playing with acoustic guitars. There's no reason to think that an MB200 into the little S2010 cab wouldn't be more than adequate for quiet gigs.

KO