Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you add to this line?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Toasted, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    [​IMG]

Ive got an akai deep impact as we speak in the post. I use active basses.

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I don't know, that's a pretty awesome setup as is... Ever try a delay in there?

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    This guy

[​IMG]

:D

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Volume pedal. It's old school fun.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Maybe an overdrive; or is that what a Prunes and Custard is?

Since most of those are slightly out-there, maybe a DD20 or ChoralFlange.

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I agree, I think and overdrive would be best. Maybe a Fulltone Bassdrive, they get great reviews here. :)

Graeme

7. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Cool setup. I would add EBS Multicomp to muscle it up.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'd add a pedalboard. And shorter cables. And get a freaking delay; those are required if you have a whammy or a filter.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I agree with these. :)

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How bout a Morley Wah?

11. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    cool setup! here's what I've been using..

[​IMG]

12. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I agree that a delay pedal would be killer.

Chorus or flange would be cool effects too.

btw nice rig

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Zvex Wooly Mammoth. (I don't have one, but the demo on the Zvex site sounds great - You'd be in analog-synth nirvana with the right interconnections between the Mammoth, your bass, and the Meatball, I would think!)

Joe

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks for all the replies, I shall now address you, the public of talkbass, one by one.

- All you who said Delay - excellent idea! Thanks, I want one to go in the chain after the whammy.

- Christopher, I've never been sure what a volume pedal does really. Isnt it just like the volume knob on my bass, but with a foot-treadle? - Why would I like one - open question :)

- Akbar, I run the tube preamp in my ABM300 really really high, so it gets tube distortion that way. I need a foot switch.

- Bassgod, again, between my ABM300 and the Prunes i can get almost any distortion / synthy distortion that i want. This will be further enhanced by the fuzzy settings on the Deep Impact, when it re-arrives.

- Nemo, I have to say, of all the compressors I've tried (MXR/EHX/Digitech) I've never actually found one that altered my sound, at all, in anyway. Maybe i need to inspect these further - I know EBS is quality stuff.

- Ben, pedal board in construction as we speak. Hey! - Those cables were free, and yes, I'll be replacing them shortly. What do you reccomend, cabling wise?

- tplyons, good idea, Im going to Tayste's in a fwe weeks, Ill play with his dunlop to see how I like wahwahs on bass.

- Alembicplayer, Nice setup man. Cool to see another P+C user. I can see the Peterson Strobe up in the top corner as well - Cool tuner.

- Opivy3056, I'll go play with TaySte's and see what his are like on bass. When i saw doug wimbish, i was very impressed by his use of flange.

- Joe P, (hey man - we share a name, I'm Joe Purcell, but call me Toasted) Zvex Wooly Mammoth causes problems because I love my active bass too much to go passive. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely be thinking more about overdrive tho.

I was thinking about doing something like this with my DTR-2000 and my pedalboard (in construction) what do you think?

[​IMG]

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's my effects chain:

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Put it in your FX loop. Unless you want the delays to stack ontop of each other and overdrive your preamp.

It's a volume knob with foot controllable goodness! Very useful.

George L's or Daddarios. Both can be cut and made to your precise lengths without soldering. I don't go for that "the tone is in the cables" crap. Custom cables in 5 minutes is nice though.

I'm not big on putting rackmount stuff into your board. Try looking into the Boss TU2 tuner pedal. It's good, small, and you can use it to power 5 other pedals. Take it from the guy who once owned a 120 pound pedal board: the weight adds up. If you're going for lots and lots of pedals, get several smaller boards and link them up.

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The flange is in your hands.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Hey man you got to go for a delay, they're wonderful.

I got my Echo Park today everyone, Just waiting on a couple more pedals to finish the whole thing off.

I recommend Venom cables they're quite cheap compared to planet waves but I find to loss in signal and they seem well put together, custom cables are great and all but it would cost me about £100 to wire the whole of my board up with planet waves and George L's are about the same. Thats alot of cash for not a massive change in sound. Just think you could get a wah pedal for that much. I'm not saying wire the thing up with 30p cables but venom are pretty good.

And I got a foot switch for the ashdown so don't forget.

Merry Christmas to all.

19. What's a good bass delay pedal? I want one!

I currently use:
    AMP+
    1. Boss Bass EQ
    2. EBS Multi-Comp
    3. EBS Multi-Drive
    4. Boss Bass Chorus
    5. Boss Bass Flange
    +Fender Jazz Bass

BTW, is that the ideal order to place the pedals? I really don't know. Some suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Happy Holidays!

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    just got a Boss DD-3 for christmas and have been tinkering with it for a while.

i'm going to try putting it into the effects loop, per benjamin's suggestion, because at really high feedback settings, ...it gets loud and irritating.

also, the only useful sounds for bass, imo, are found in the "long" setting, 200ms - 800ms, i think.

the digital pinginess is a matter of taste. i like it.

if you don't want digital pinginess, the digitech one is similarly priced. there is also the guyatone ones.

or you can spring for a used analog delay, but i have no idea what to expect from those.

...except, perhaps, for a rockabilly sound. :meh: