1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you add to this rig (EA Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Nov 1, 2006.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ok, so last Sunday i played a gig with my usual rig EA Iamp800 and 2 cxl112's and I've always loved the sound, even passed on buying an nl210 as I prefered the 2 cxl's to the nl210 and cxl. I also carry an Iamp600 as a backup

So anyway yeah did the gig, and my rig sounded amazing but one of the other bands turned up with a hartke rig, he had a ha7000 and a 810xl. So when I heard him play it I wasn't really impressed with the sound, but at the end of the night having never really tried an 8x10 loud I asked if I could have a go, so I hooked up my 800 to my cxl's and the 600 to the hartke 8x10 and to be honest I was expecting the 800 and cxl's to just kill the 8x10 but boy was I wrong.

The 8x10 was massive in the low end, clear up close and with the 600watt amp was louder than my 800. The 8x10 didn't have the clarity or highs like the cxls but when running both together it was simply amazing.

So now I'm thinking what can I add to my rig to get a sound like this, I'm not to fussed about the volume side of things as I'm already hella loud, but the extra bass and such. I really don't want the 8x10 I had to move it about 10ft and down 3 steps and I nearly killed myself.

So any suggestions would be great, I'm quite temped to run both the 800 and 600 together.

Thanks

2. I'm not any kind of an "amp expert", but physics will tell you that a 600 watt amp driving 8 10-inch speakers is going to be "bigger" in a BIG way vice an 800 watt amp driving 2 12-inch speakers. The amount of air moved is going to be quite a bit larger, and the db increase is much more noticeable with an increase in speaker surface area. 200 watts in this case might equate to a 1 db (non-noticeable) difference. I'm not doing the math (because I'm lazy), but the 8x10 is roughly moving 3 times the speaker surface area.

Running that number of drivers in that type of enclosure is also going to give you a coupling effect that will give you a very noticeable, BIG bump in your low bass response.

Reading your review of what happened, it seems exactly as I would have expected....right down to the fact that the 2 CXL-12's were clearer and more articulate...especially on the high end. It's to be expected.

Now, if you were to run two more CXL cabs for a 2-ohm load on the iAMP....woah nellie....or even better - couple each CXL with an NL-210 on each side of the iAMP. I think you wouldn't be missing any massiveness in the low end with that solution....and it will still be more articulate and truer to the sound of your bass.

just my .02
    Jay

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah, I mean I understood that from the start I knew the 8x10 would be moving more air, but I was expecting it to sound crap up close as generally I thought big cabs had quite a bit of throw, but like I said very clear.

I know it's not fair to compare the 2 and obviously the 8x10 is going to sound bigger so I was wondering what could be added, I was thinking about an nl-210 to add a bit more fullness in the lows and low mids, but I don't know.

I'd really like to try a wizzy or m-line wizzy but with only 200watts power handling at 4ohms I just couldn't hook it into my current setup.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just another one of those myths. Cabs do not have throw unless they are big horn cabs that are coupled with the room to complete the horn. Direct radiator cabs kick out full volume with your ear next to the speakers.

Aren't you carting a spare iAMP 600? Plug the Wizzy into that.

Alex

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Try one or two NM-410's and call me in the morning. :D

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah I'm seriously considering that, Overwater are getting a M-line in so I'll try that at Bass Day, I'm still worried about the wattage and everything

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I wish but they won't let me remortgage a testicle again

8. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    You can't remortgage what you don't have, Steve.

Do you think that sound will be better for you in a mix? You might miss that cut of the CXs.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The guitar player in a band I was in bought a Les Paul .... and the volume level went WAY up :eek:

I had only my iAMP500C with me and cranked it up in an attempt to compete. No problems with the wizzy with the gain at 3:00 and the master at 3:00. I don't like to turn any amp up higher than 3:00 so I didn't.

I used to run the combo all the time with the gain at 12:00 and the master at 12:00. This is all with passive basses. YMMV.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I won't be getting rid of any cabs I'll be adding to what I already have.

I'm also debating selling the iamp600 and getting a Iamp500 to lighten my rack up a bit, But worried about the headroom in each even though my 600 is pretty easy to clip.

So If I got the 500 I would seriously condsider 2 wizzy's and have a 4ohm load on the 800 with 2 cxls and a 2 ohm load on the 500 with 2 wizzy's

Any opinions on this?

PS. I do have em I showed yo mumma last night :bag:

11. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    lol nice comeback.

I think that'd be a cool set-up. 4 speakers is always better than 2 lol. I think you'd have better results with a 4x10 or nl210s being that you like the 8x10 sounds though. How did the hartke sound in comparison to the CXl112+NL210 stack you tried a while ago?

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Inactive

Dec 11, 1999
    One problem with multiple drivers (8x10) is the phase cancellation that you get from driver interference - the "venetian blind effect". So up close, it might sound great, but how does it sound in a big club?

John's major challenge in designing the NM-410 was to eliminate the venetian blind effect and make a cab that is loud, punchy and present in the ENTIRE listening environment.

If you want to know if he succeeded, you'll have to ask Tom Bowlus. If I said anything, I'd probably be violating the CUP

Peace (hopefully)
    Mike

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The NM-410 is a flat out amazing cab, and it does not exhibit the kind of comb filtering that many/most 4x10's seem to exhibit. I do have a review coming up in the next issue of Bass Guitar Magazine, so I don't want to spill the beans too much, here. ;)