what would you add to your distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MorganM, Sep 6, 2002.

1. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I am in the middle of designing 2 distortion pedals optimized for bass.

Design #1. The base circuit is based around the original transistor Big muff.

How many people use the tone bypass toggle? Do you use the tone control more or it in bypassed mode.
    What would you add to the pedal in terms of sound?(More low end, mids, distortion etc.)

Design #2
    This is a distortion/octivia design. It will sound similar to a brassmaster set one way and a deep scooped mids sound the other way. Which mode is selectable via a stompswitch.

What type of distortion do you prefer? Light overdrive, thick rich distortion, crunchy mids etc.

All of you input will help me get a broader view of what every bassist is looking for in a distortion pedal.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Blend clean and distortion. Preserver bottom end.
  3. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    yeah I like blended signals also.
    That be able to do without too much trouble.
  4. I like the idea of a bass only clean mix (mixes the distorted signal with the lows only from a low pass crossover) as well as a gain function for the clean mix that functions with the drive knob at a 3:1 ratio so the higher you turn up the distortion the clean signal gets more presence without cutting out too much distortion.
  5. A decent filter with a very wide sweep. This way I could boost some deep bass or ad a bit of "snarl" if called for.
  6. im a mids man so i really like the thick mids... put a blend knob...i hate the scooping...bleh
  7. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I plan to have these 2 designs completed in around 2 months time.
    I will record some sound files and post them if anyone is interested.

8. a big muff with a blend control would be awsome!!that would be the ultimate bass dist. unit for me...I love the sound of the muff,but I hate the way it kills the low end..the only other way I found to get there is to run two amps,one clean and for fx,but thats way too much gear..
  9. Go all out

A blend with distortion and the total bass signal

A blend with Distortion and the low end only preserved

3 band EQ with selectable mids

Fuzz knob

Sure, it would be a lot of knobs, and the 2 blends would be interactive, but it would be bliss to use.
  10. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Whats wrong with lots of knobs?

The more the merrier... :D

go with the clean/distortion blend... that is arguably the most important part of a good bass distortion.
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Blend of clean and distorted, and low pass for keeping lows undistorted - all said before I think.

A true bypass would also be a good function.
  12. randomname

Aug 12, 2002
    Definitely agree with the blend control, but even more so with preserving the clean low end. If it's possible, have a x-over knob (or dip switch pre set) next to blend to determine the frequencies that the distorted sound starts at.

A 3 band w/sweepable mid control would be brilliant because distorted sounds invariably need a different eq to clean, and sweeping the mid can drastically change the tone of a heavily distorted bass.

I've got a Fultone Bassdrive pedal which has 2 distorted settings which means I can have a gentle fuzz and out-and-out mayhem in one pedal which is brilliant. Add the above controls to this and it would be unstoppable.

Oh, and with the octaver, maybe adding an effects loop to the distortion pedal would be a good idea (and fairly simple, although a blend control here would be valuable as well). This would allow you to add existing pedals into the signal chain (octaver, envelope filter, further eq etc.). I'd love a pedal like that!
  13. I don't know if it's possible but I would like a much faster bypass switch. I own both a Russian Big Muff PI and a Boss ODB-3. The muff has a true bypass switch while the Boss is electronic. I recognize the need for the true bypass but it doesn't respond as fast as the Boss's electronic and takes more force to activate. The way I use a stompbox is to tap it on and off sometimes several times a song whilst playing very fast, heavy music. I can't make a big exagerated movement to switch it and it's rilly noticeable if there's a delay. Any ideas cuz I rilly hate the sound of the Boss.
    Also adding blend controls to a Muff would be great.