What would you buy for $1800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondiener, Apr 26, 2001.

1. jondiener

jondiener Guy in the corner, looking at his phone on break. Supporting Member

I've been a good boy - saving my pennies. And for about a year I've been dying to replace my amp set-up and researching things. I play a wide variety of music on a Carvin LB75 (active) and a fretless Carvin LB76 (active). I like a clean, full tone with the ability to get a little growly/Jaco sound once in awhile. I'm considering an Eden WT-400 (about $750) with a D-210 XLT (about $575) and a D-118XL (about $575?). Or would I be better off with a Metro and a D-118XL? Any other ideas?

2. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

have you considered Ashdown.

Played at BassNW in Sea-town and was blown away.
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Man, go Eden. The WT-400 is fantastic. I have the Wt-500 and the Navigator. First class stuff. I also have the D210xlt(thanks Munji) and the D115. It's an awesome setup. Another setup for speakers is Bag End but if you like the Eden tone go for it. I'm very happy with my stuff.
  4. Heavy and Jerry,

Specifically what separates the Eden from the Ashdown sounds in your opinions? What makes one better than the other. Heavy, what Ashdown config did you demo?
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, to honestly answer the question of what I would buy for $1800.00? I'd probably forgo the amp and look for an Englehardt or Kay.

(I know this doesn't really help you, but I thought I'd share! ;) )
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You Definitly have to go to a few shops w/your basses & PLAY, PLAY, PLAY!!!!! I'd recomend a nice Ampeg set-up. SVT-III PRO with out question. If you want 2 cabs you could get the SVT-410 & & SVT-15. But if you want one cab, the SVT-410 HLF is a 4 ohm cab that will handle all the power of the III PRO. I've never tried Eden or AshDown so I can't comment on them.

Good luck on the hard decesions you have in the future.
  7. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I would go with the Traveler and an Eden 410XLT (If you find a store that deals fairly, you should be able to get both for your $1800). I have the WT800, a 410XLT, a 210 XLT and the 210T. I used to own the 410T (traded for the 212XLT which I traded for the 410XLT). For ANY gig, you can't beat the 410XLT. Its a bit heavy, but its worth it. The 210's are great together, and alone they sound fine, but when you plug back in to the 410, wa la, instant orgasm! There is something about the tight cluster of 410's together that is magical and delicious...and not duplicated by anything else.

Once upon a time I owned an Ampeg 210 combo with a single 18" extension cab (Much the same set up as you are proposing with the Traveler and a 210 and an 18). The 18 was BOOMY! I wouldn't recommend one UNLESS you have a stereo power amp (which the Ampeg did not) to control its volume, otherwise, it will COMPLETELY DOMINATE your other cabs.

Good luck
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Man, you're right on it with the Eden idea! I use a WT400 with 210XLT and D15 as my most regular rig. I replace the 210XLT with a 410XLT for larger rooms. Great, great tone. For small rooms I go with the 210XLT alone. You really can't lose with these combos. If you decide to go with the 18 instead of the 15 you'll have a little rounder low-end but, in my experience, the 18 is more effective in larger rooms. The 15 is perfect for small clubs and really kicks. Can't go wrong with Eden, my friend.
  9. Boogie,

What are the impedence values for your 210XLT and D15? One choice that one must consider if purchasing a WT400 and 210 or 410 plus an extension cab is whether to go for a 4 or 8 ohm cabinet. I'm curious how you've sorted this out.
  10. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

the 2x10 ABM series combo (the blue head). it was great.

you might also want to check out the new combo from Roland.

it has something they call FFP (force forward processing i think) that is really cool. it is basically the same idea as the Bag End ELPH system where the amp compensates for the lower volume of the deepest notes.

when you hit a low ass note the it will steadily decrease in presence, the processor actually boosts it at the same "speed" giving you fat sustain and presence on even yr lowest notes.

i think laswelll uses an ELPH.
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    $1,800 is about what I spent on my EBS Fafner and EBS 4x10. I got them from Rawn Randall at www.r2musical.com although Mathews and Ryan is now the EBS distributor in the US.

I personally think that you can't get more growl and punch out of a setup! You want clarity? Warmth? They're in there! And, the EBS cabs are about the most efficient cabs on the market!:D They are LOUD!!!
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    All my Eden cabs are 8 ohm, therefore, any two give me the 4 ohm load I need to make that WT400 deliver its full payload!