Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Would You Buy???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by purfektstranger, Apr 11, 2003.

1. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I am new to the world of bass guitars. I've waded through the reviews and opinions and have decided I would like to buy one of the following bass guitars:

Ibanez gsr 200
    Yamaha rb260
    Fender Jazz (Mex) used

If you were new to the bass and were shopping for a guitar which you intended to keep for a couple of years which of the above named (or not named if you know of a better one) guitar would you choose?

Many thanks,

Danny N

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Knowing what I know now, after playing bass for several decades, I would go to some music stores and try out as many as I could and find the one that sounds the best and allows me to play my best. Reviews are only about what suits the reviewer.

When all is said and done though, the Fender will be the most welcome when it comes time to trade it in or sell it. Plus, if you ever want to install/upgrade to a better pickup/preamp/whatever, most retrofit components are made to fit Fenders.

See the "Newbie Links" in the Talkbass "Basses" forum for some good advice.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Now there's a scary thought!!! :eek:

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah, go with the Fender, most aftermarket options, most likely to give you at least a half-decent trade-in value.

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Assuming you get a MIM Fender that was made on a good day, that would be your best bet. The QC can be very spotty with them, so try out many of them and choose which one you like best.

6. None of them.. I'm sure I could find something better for the same money.