Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you charge for a simple website?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, May 5, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    A group of people I know, some friends and some just former workmates, have started a small company. They want a nice looking informational website they can show clients. I can make what they are asking me to make, no problem, but I usually do not do websites so I really have no idea what to charge.

They are a business, a coop, and some of them I would consider friends, though not the type you end up hanging out with, more the type you know from work.

What say you TB web design people, what would you charge? I should add that they said they will want monthly updates.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Since you dont know how much time it will take or how picky they might become. I would put an hourly wage for a price. So it is up to you. How much is your spare time worth??

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    good point.

4. Generally, you should charge by the hour. Once the site is up, if they want a monthly update, you could then negotiate a flat fee depending on what you are required to do.

Think of a dentist's hourly rate and your about close.....

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    gotcha. I'll discount it some though, as these guys are starting out. thanks!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Considering how much time he spends on TB it's probably worth like 10 cents an hour or so.

brad cook

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Taking time away from TB is big $$$.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hey!
    maybe I should do websites in the summer :D
    Thanks for the good idea! ;)
    I just learned (not yet finished, actually) basic webpage designing this semester, and it was fun so far.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Great, Hungarian competion. ;)

10. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Watch out with the discounts, as once you give it, you can't take it back. I started doing computer consulting for about $15/hr back in '95. After a few months I realized people normally got paid about $75/hr for what I was doing. Even after a few years with the same clients I only managed to up my rate to around $30/hr.

Whatever you do, don't undercut yourself too much.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That's true, I've made that mistake before just fixing home computers. It can actually appear "fly by night' to some people.

Good advice, thanks.

12. Mixposure

Mixposure

Feb 20, 2005
    I think it's a good idea to at least find out what they want and give them a rough estimate so they're in the ballpark.

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I meet with them on Monday. I have some ideas now, and I 'm fairly flexible so we'll work it out no problem I think.

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    $75 per page @ 800x600 as a start.

Anything at all fancy or "enhanced" is extra.

If I have to go out and secure, register, admin. blah, blah the web space and or domain name...thats extra.

Do they need/ want traffic stats logged and interpreted all nice and pretty and sent to them monthly? because.....thats extra.

Minor updates and edits get done for free whilst I'm doing the "extras"

If the change requires a new page, it's back to the top of the list.

A properly laid out comercial website with basic interactive functionality but no facilities for e-sales is worth about two grand by the time it's all over with.

Artwork...editing....cross browser testing for functionality...

If you do it right, starting from scratch, you'll have a good 60 hours into it before it's up and running 100%.