1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you choose to convert into a fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnelly13, Oct 21, 2013.

1. gnelly13

gnelly13

Oct 21, 2013
    I am going to be converting either a squier jazz bass or a yamaha rbx170 into a fretless. Which one would you choose to convert? I really like both and need to keep one of them fretted. Thanks for any and all opinions!!!:cool::cool:

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Which one do you play the most ?
    I would convert the one you play the least. So if you don't dig fretless, you still have the other.

3. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    I would convert some money into a fretless neck for the Squier that way you can reverse the mod if you don't like it and sell the neck to recoup some of your money.

For every story you hear/read about a successful conversion, there are hundreds of horror stories you rarely hear about. Don't potentially ruin a bass you really like on something that could be a longshot at best.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1

5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I have a Squier '51 P that I was going to convert just to try it, but I've ended up promising it to the local Girls Rock Camp chapter as an auction item for their fund raiser.

6. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    Local craigslist example: (strat)

[​IMG]

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Make that +2

8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is the safest route, IMO.

9. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Same here! Though with a kid on the way my bass purchases are taking a back seat. So this is in my long term plans.

EDIT::

I'm refering to buying a fretless neck.. I don't know why the quote function didn't work.

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    True. I got a cheapo bass on ebay knowing that probably would mess it up. I bought some fret pullers from StewMac, about $30 and went after it. YES... the fretboard will splinter, there's no real way around that. Get some plastic wood from the hardware store, and smooth it out and sand it. File the nut slots a little lower to make up for the frets being gone. You might need to do a little setup, but you'll have a bass that you can experiment with and see if you like fretless.
    If you go this route, make sure your cheapo bass is the same scale as what you're used to. Frankly, you might check Craigslist for cheap basses. CL prices seem to be a good deal less that eBay, at least around here.
    Good luck.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There's a ton of already fretless RBX's available online. Damn fine basses for often less than $100.

12. stinkoman

stinkoman Banned

Jan 31, 2013
    What he said. Or post it on here or craigslist for a trade for a fretless. As somebody already mentioned for every defrett story your hear was successful you have more bad ones I defretted 4 of them and only 1 was good. 2 of them bowed really bad right away and couldn't correct them no matter what I did and the other had to be shimmed and constantly adjusted and it was barely playable.

13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Definitely the jazz bass. I don't like to convert, though. I like to start fresh with an unlined jazz neck which has to be aftermarket because Fender doesn't make a fretless jazz neck with no lines!

14. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Either this or just shell out the bucks for a fretless. Or trade.

The fact is it will cost more to do the conversion than buying one that came fretless.

15. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    i would think about just buying a neck from warmoth and transfer the hardware and be done with it - around $250

16. While I'm a big fan of modding id only recommend converting a bass to fretless if its something you can't buy with a reasonable amount of money. For example i would convert a mim fender jazz 5 string. To my knowledge fenders never made a fretless 5 string. The Steve bailey 6 string fretted is a bit pricey for a fretless but i primarily play fretted. I've seen some 6 sting basses that were converted to fretless, i can understand that. There's not a lot of choices for 6 string fretlesses under a grand and for someone who's used to a 6 and doesn't want to switch to a 4 or 5 converting an ibanez sound gear or similar instrument is a good way to go.

17. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Convert the one you like the least.

It's Easy. I can do one over night.

If one has a little twist or bow that
    you can't get out, you can just
    grind it strait with the frets off.

I straightened three necks like that.
    I have defretted 7 basses. They
    all ended up being a big
    improvement,

I had to grind this one til the dots
    came out,

IMG_2049-1.

Saved a very nice hand made
    custom bass from being a turd
    with a bowed neck through body
    and it didn't cost anything.

12-11-3.

Don't worry about wooden strips
    for fret grooves. Filler will work
    fine and your neck straightness
    shouldn't be affected. A ton of
    them have been done without
    wood strips and are still doing
    fine.

Tabdog

18. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    That's hands down my favorite bass,

Tabdog

19. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
  20. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    +1

Zactly what I was thinking! It preserves what you have, and provides the best/most options (like switching back and forth).