1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you do—neck swap or sell?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Craig Orndorff, May 3, 2021 at 5:59 PM.

1. Sell

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Swap

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    I recently traded some guitar gear for a Highway One Jazz with a bent fret wire (see my post over in repairs for the lowdown). I then bought a sunburst Highway One off the ‘verb. I’m thinking? Do I swap the necks (the one I traded for is a replacement neck) or do I sell off the traded one? I really like that the trade has the pup and bridge covers. But that neck I ain’t gonna get much for. 1AA89715-5897-4815-AE8E-9B5BBC2806AD.png Pic attached of the one I bought since I’m sure people will want pics.

G-Lol likes this.
  2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    try the swap, if it improves the overall then keep that combo and off the rest.

3. Maybe just get a quote to fix the fret? Seems easier and cheaper than dealing with neck swapping or selling and shipping.

FRoss6788, AGCurry and ajkula66 like this.
  4. Craig Orndorff

Apr 26, 2021
    That’s the easy, elegant solution, but it’s based on the notion I want/can keep both. There’s only enough room in my heart/wallet/classroom closet for one Highway One, whatever iteration it is.

Here is the possible donor, just arrived.

345FEE1E-5351-4BD1-8328-AF8BD6AD59A1.jpeg

5. Craig Orndorff

Apr 26, 2021
    Realized I already posted the donor. Here would be the recipient. 170D4294-CC5D-42E7-BDB4-22AA743FDFCE.jpeg
    D8C39189-902C-45B1-800D-E10FE76F6DD1.jpeg

Attached Files:

6. OK. That makes more sense. Personally, I'd swap necks, keep the burgundy one, still fix the neck and disclose the repair in the for sale thread. The fix might be cheaper than the hit you might take selling a bass needing repair.

7. Craig Orndorff

Apr 26, 2021
    You’re suggesting I sell it here? :) Might just, because Reverb is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

G-Lol likes this.
  8. Anywhere you sell it, IMHO. It's nice to give our bass brethren first shot at it!

A stranger on Reverb or Ebay might drag you through the mud or try to weasel out of something if they notice an undisclosed repair, or a potential buyer might try to get you to drop your price if it's sold needing repair. My 2 cents...

9. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    If you prefer the new neck, but the red body- I’d definitely try the swap. Sometimes they don’t make a good “marriage” but it’s quick easy and reversible.

Then if it all works out you could just sell the parts separately here, make shipping easier.

10. G-Lol

G-Lol

Jun 5, 2019
    I'm definitely interested in the neck if you decide to sell it. I've got a mid 90s MIJ Squier P with a warped neck that I'm trying to find a replacement for and I'll deal with the bent fret issue on this end.

Craig Orndorff and CallMeAl like this.
  11. Craig Orndorff

Apr 26, 2021
    Nice. I can send you some more pics if you need them. Of the whole thing, not just the fret. I probably won’t swap them til Friday, but I’ll keep you in the loop.

G-Lol likes this.
  12. Craig Orndorff

Apr 26, 2021
    Reverb, while most excellent on the buying end, is a bit much as a seller. The pace is too fast—I’ve had customers who wanted it yesterday. I had a guy lord my “quick shipper” badge I didn’t solicit over me and ask for a refund. I’m a patient dude myself—I can wait on something to ship. That’s my fault that I don’t see that in other people. And I suppose there’s going to be impatient folks wherever you sell. But there were factors—some within my control, admittedly, but some not—that kept me from getting it out ASAP. He bailed even when I offered what I thought was the right thing for his trouble—$25 off shipping and a promise of a tracking number by 10 AM the next day. I don’t keep a ton of supplies on hand because I don’t do much volume and probably won’t again—I’m just liquidating my guitar stuff to focus on bass. Oh well.

13. G-Lol

G-Lol

Jun 5, 2019
    Awesome! Thank you sir.

14. Craig Orndorff

Apr 26, 2021
    And don’t even get me started on people who think they can get something for nothing.....I dunno about you guys, but some of these offers I get I’d be embarrassed to make face to face. I was selling a never used, still i the box Digitech Trio+. Lady offers me $141 when list was $210. I come back with what I thought was fair—$170–and she can still only meet me at $150. I know everybody wants a deal, musicians without a lot of cash in particular, but still.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021