What would you do if you had these - the new reality game show...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T. B. Player, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I don't usually visit the amp area, but thought I'd ask those of you that hang here "What would you do if you had these?"

Carvin combo amp with 1-15" speaker -

Speaker is great and love the front grill, as well as the pre-shaping, four band tone controls and 5 band EQ - but it has a channel for active and a channel for passive instruments. The active channel doesn't work, but the passive works great. I paid only187 dollars for it since the following amp tells its story....

Polytone Mini-Brute III from the late 70s -

Amp still in good shape, but speaker is toast. Polytones require a Polytone 3 ohm speaker, and dealing with Polytone is the pits.

Do I -

Sell them both for what they are? or
    Take the speaker out of the Carvin and put it in the Polytone, then toss the Carvin and sell the Polytone?

Or do you have another solution? Yes, I could spend money to fix them and then sell them, but the point is to not spend money that I don't have.

Now - let's play "What would you do if you had these?"
  2. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    I think the answer might be in your signature ("Nothing is easy; nothing is free").

First off, I don't know a thing about Polytone amps, except that folk that have them like them. It seems odd that a solid state amp would "require" a 3 (?) ohm speaker. In general, solid state amps will work with any impedence down to their minimum rating, usually 4 ohms, sometimes 2 ohms, and for some really high end PA systems, 1 ohm.

Second, stuffing the driver from your Carvin into the Polytone will disable the Carvin and make the Polytone "work", but it might not sound good. Drivers and cabinets need to work together, and usually the cabinet is designed (including port size and shape) to suit the specs of the driver.

So, if I was you, I'd live with the semi-functional Carvin, and throw a sheet over the Polytone until finances enable you to buy a suitable driver.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    try transferring the speaker, see how it sounds if you like it keep it that way if not sell both and search for something else.

search polytone forums or speaker seller sights for a 3ohm speaker (may be referring to a 4ohm speaker actually). prices seem to start around $60 but more like $125

ask some of the DIY people.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Call some reconing shops!
  5. That was step one for me - Polytones can't be reconed because they are 3 ohm speakers.

Thanks for looking!!
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The amp doesn't care if it's driving 4 ohms, or 8 for that matter. You'll lose maybe 1.2dB of output with a 4 ohm driver, but if the reconer does a good job, you might easily gain that much back.

There's a thread here addressing this very subject: Bottom Line #493

I used to work with a reconer, and reconing to 4 ohms is the easiest solution in your case. Very few other speakers will fit in your amp. If you're determined to get a 3 ohm recone, talk to Ted Weber (www.webervst.com), I know he does them in some sizes at least.