1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Would You Do in My Situation? Upgrading My Marshall MB450H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Imaginos, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    Hi TB!

I bought a Marshall MB450H head along with a Marshall MC410 cab last summer and I'm tired of playing around with the former. The modern channel is rubbish and on the classic you basically have to turn the voice and treble almost all the way up to get some definition out of the dark bassy mush. I've tried playing the VT Bass pedal through the modern channel with mediocre results - it sounds sterile and cold instead of organic, dirty and warm.

Now, my budjet is sadly around 500 - 800 €/$ so that leaves full tube amps out. What would you guys recommend? I've been thinking about an Orange 500W Terror Bass and I get to try it out next week. Markbass Little Mark Rocker 500 could also be an option. Any other recommendations within that price class? I'm into the sounds of the 70s and dislike super-clean and modern stuff.

2. Rack mount Sansamp into a power amp. New class D ones are super light weight. If it was me I would pick up a Peavey IPR 1600. It will leave you options to for different cabs down the road. If you go with a IPR 3000 you have even more options. There are guys running their rig off of one side, and vocal monitors off the other.

3. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    try every amp you can and buy the one you like. You have to use your ears and find the tone you like, no one can do it for you

4. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    I would but my three local stores don't have anything worthwhile (except for the ridicuously expensive amps).

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Get together with a bass playing friend and run your amp through his speakers and his amp through your speakers, see what happens. If you're only looking at amps, you should make sure you like your speakers. Make sure the amp is the actual weak link if your budget isn't big enough for both.