Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you do in my situation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tash, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've had several major changes happen in the past couple months, and consequently I'm revaluating my life and trying to move in a different direction.

This week I closed on the sale of my home. My ex and I split the money and are moving forward with our divorce. I left my job about a month ago due to begin fed up with idiocy and bad decision in the upper echelons of the company.

I have no job, lots of free time and enough money to live comfortably for about two years, give or take a bass or three.

Right now I see 3 options:

1) Sit on my a$$ and burn through my money like I did when I was 19 and making $120k a year building networks.
    2) Get another decent paying job that involves sitting in front of a computer for twelve hours a day wishing I could be playing bass.
    3) Finish my AA, get my recording cert and find work doing something musical.

I'm going with 3. I've got auditions set up for two working cover acts in the area. That should get me at least some income so I'm not draining my savings too fast. I'm working on a couple freelance composition projects, one for an indie film and one for a video game. Neither pays cash but both have royalties and will get me heard by some important people. I'm also pushing forward with an original project I've put off for a long time, again it has not immediate cash rewards, but it does have potential to grow into something in the long term.

I am hoping to have enough eggs in my basket to support myself entirely with various musical talents within a year.

Since I was 17 my live has revolved around jobs: finding them, working at them, learning stuff so I can find better ones. Despite claiming that music is the most important thing in my life, its always been pushed aside for other things. I've passed on several touring, paying gigs because I had a day job that I hated but that got me phat lewt...

I've never given myself the chance to be a working musician. Now I am. For the next year music will have the same priority as my jobs used to.

I've made up my mind about this, obviously, but I'm curious what everyone here thinks. Has anyone else made a simillar choice in the past? Anyone have any advice on what I should try to do right now, or avoid in the future?

2. all i can say isdont just do nothing.

If you were making 120K a year why i nthe world did you stop?

3. it was probably the fact that the inet hype crashed I reckon

oh and you're going where you want to go, good for you, if it doesn't work out, well, you managed to find a job before, so you'll probably find one in the future, especcially if you don't stop learning things next to beeing a musician

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Yup. Three layoffs in two years, by 22 I was working in a bookstore to keep my house out of foreclosure. Not something I want to go through again.

5. well, for one, you had a house at 22, not something I will be saying for myself :)

6. I would take option 2!!

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'd go with option 3. Follow your heart, and you have some money to keep you out of major trouble, so I'd go for the music.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Tash, I've been in a similar situation, your whole world turned upside down, not fun.

I suggest being patient, and waiting for the dust to settle a bit. The right course of action will reveal itself to you when you least expect it to do so.

I'm not suggesting that you sit on your @$$ and do NOTHING, it sounds like you have the right idea in general - definitely do the gigs to have a source of income, try to stay out of your savings as much as possible, go ahead with the school thing, but also be prepared to make a move should the perfect situation for you to be really happy become available.

That is what I went through: A divorce I never wanted, losing a house that I loved because of it (she got it :meh: ), working at a job that I was growing increasingly unhappy at. I plugged along, kept the job, bought myself a condo, and just starting thinking about what I would be happiest at doing.

Keith Roscoe just popped up one day and offered me a job while I was just telling him where my head was at. I never would have thought to PERSUE that course of action, I was just talking with a friend about my life, and it HAPPENED.

My father, who is a retired airline pilot and is very comfortable financially, is very happy for me, because I am what he considers TRULY SUCCESSFUL: I am doing something I love so much that (don't tell Keith! :spit: ;) ) I would do for FREE, and I'm getting paid for it. I will never do as well financially as my father, but I have a success that cannot be put in a bank account, or spent at the local Mercedes dealership, but is so much more important - I'm HAPPY.

Good luck!

9. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    You have the money and experiance/knowledge to fall back on. So try doing what you've always wanted to do. Play covers, do projects and studio time. If after a couple of years you still love it and can make decent money at it, great.
    If not then get another job sitting 12 hours a day in front of a computer.
    Of course if you get the recording cert you may spend 16 hours a day in front of a computer trying to get a millionare top forty band to sound decent.

10. Do it while you're young enough to enjoy the things you'll be embarassed to talk about 10 years from now.

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, me too... I'm less than two months short of 22 and I can hardly see having my own place in the next four-five years...

I'd rather follow something in-between 2 and 3.
    Try to find a job that you like, is secure, and still pays decently. You can still pursue music as a hobby, and do regular gigs, though you won't be able to go on big tours.
    Actually, this is what I intend to do.
    Probably the music business is better over at you, but here the chances of living even meagerly from music is very slim...