1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Would You Do? - Sonic/Daphne Blue Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rossiman, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    For as long as I could remember I've always wanted an Olympic White jazz bass. Used to have a Squier CV as one of my first basses and then an AVRI 62, which I sold because it was pretty heavy and I developed Nitro OCD.

I've also always been obsessed with the Powder Blue Stingray Classic (white Pickup and Tortoise Pickguard with that tinted maple neck).

I've been wanting to merge the two by getting an ultimate, lightweight Sonic/Daphne blue jazz bass with a Matching Headstock, trying to keep it under $1800. I've been on the fence:

1. Road Worn Jazz bass (light) or a American Standard (graphite rods) + Refinish
    2. Sandberg Custom California TM4 (seems really expensive though, but the MM/Jbass hybrid seems cool)
    3. '64 AVRI Daphne Blue Used from 2014 (just switch out the pickguard and add white pickup covers)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal

3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    1 or 3 if you are a 100percent Fenderguy.

The Sandberg Californias are good!
    But you may loose money the day you sell it. (You might give it a try! If it' s for you than:bassist: and keep it)

and for all the three of them: Allways try before buy!!!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

4. The '64 AV is a killer bass. My #1 and I bought it two years ago. Waited a long time for a Jazz in Daphne...

DSLR.

Templar and Ghastly like this.
  5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Another option would be a G&L JB in Sonic Blue, with lightweight empress wood body and matching painted headstock. Empress isn't listed as an option on the site, but it's been available for a couple of years. I have a Sonic Blue Comanche guitar in empress, and it's pretty sweet. Here's one that sold:

G&L JB Empress wood body 2016 Sonic Blue

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    If you are patient, they are out there. I have a 2003 daphne blue Highway 1 P bass and a a 1996 sonic blue American Standard P bass.

If mine is any indication, the Highway 1's are worth tracking down. Mine is lightweight and sounds and plays great.

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    FE716F9D-F2C8-4DD8-9B20-B2513D4A7EEA_zpscg8tavev.

Templar and ScottTunes like this.
  8. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    My vote goes to #3. If you continue to have problems with nitrocellulose though, I would opt for #1.

9. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Why not build a custom Warmoth and specify the body weight?

They do matching headstocks when ordering a custom painted body too.

There's no way that would come in over budget either.

Peace,

Rob.

10. Agreed. Good meat 'n potatoes Fender basses. Not seeing so many for sale lately, though. Been on the lookout for a nice black Hwy 1 P or J for a while now...nada.

This Daphne Hwy 1 Jazz is a really nice playing and sounding bass. The neck is arrow straight with super low, buzz-free action. Nice weight at exactly 8lbs 9oz. Can't decide whether to paint the guard black or leave it alone. Love this bass.

IMG_0010_zps172c9d04.

wvbass likes this.