Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what would you do? SUB Bass nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by superfly, May 5, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I just bought a nice SUB bass, passive setup. When I got it home I noticed a chip in the nut on the upper out side of the G string. It all works fine, but I'm concered about it breaking in the future.
    I don't want to take the bass back to GC because it was the only passive one they had. And I like the passive sound better.
    I also don't want someone at GC to work on the nut because the same guy was probably flippin burgers last week at the local burger king.
    I emailed Ernie Ball to see if they can send me out a new nut for future use.
    What should I do?

2. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Well, you could buy a blank nut from allparts.com, and have any reputable local shop install it for you.

3. My usual tech showed me a little trick for repairing bone/plastic/graphite nuts with chips. All you need is some baking soda, masking tape, and some superglue.

1. Tape the neck above and below the neck, being careful not to leave any openings.

2. Grab a pinch/spoonful of baking soda, and sprinkle it over the chipped area

3. Drop the super glue onto the baking soda, allowing the two to mix and harden. It solidifies almost instantly, and is mad hard, so try not to get it all over the place

4. Carefully chip off excess mixture

5. File down the nut

It worked wonders, and I haven't experienced any problems with it. It's a quick fix, and cheaper than a new nut while letting you get back to playing sooner.

4. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    if you have further problems, register yourself at:
    www.ernieball.com/forums
    the guys over there will be glad to help you out - they sure helped me -and they know their Musicmans better than anyone...

5. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Ernie Ball CS said they would send me out a spare nut for future use,great CS!

Also thanks to fellow member PAULSIMONON for the advice and tip on repairing the nut with baking soda and super glue. I just did it and I have to say AMAZING!

It instantly dried hard and with alittle light filing it looks fantastic!
    Also, I will add a little tip also. You need to use regular super glue and not the gel type. I experimented first on a piece of wood with gel type glue that I had. It doesn't seem to absorb as well as the regular super glue. I used the regular and it worked great.