What would you do???(Update)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by schecter5string, Oct 13, 2011.

1. so this is what happened at practice Tuesday night. Back story can be read here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/what-would-you-do-814958/

Tuesday night he no shows(thought that might happen) He told the singer on Friday night it was him or me, the singer didn't say anything because he thought it would blow over. When he didn't show up, the rest of the band was pretty pissed off, I sat them down and told my side of the story, you should have seen their faces as I told them the things that was said.
    The others in the band said he was done right then and there. The drama had gone on for to long, and everyone is sick of it. Not to seem like a bad guy I suggest we give him a week to come to his senses. If the does come bad we will have a talk with him and tell him that this is the last chance period. I know he will not change his mind, and if he does after we have a talk with him he will be so mad he will say screw you guys.
    I was surprised how fast my band dismissed him and said your in he's out. He is the better musician, I am the better band mate, and after all he's a guitarist, the easiest member to replace IMO.
    So it looks like the dynamics of the band will change, and we will start the process of finding a new guitarist.
    wish us luck in finding a guitarist with mad skills and no drama/ego :rolleyes:

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Good Luck Brother! I'm kinda in the same boat.....

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Good luck with that. I'd rather have to deal with skills and ego than no skill and ego, or no skills and no ego. Every musican comes with baggage... just know you're gonna have to deal with something.

The only fish that go with the flow are the dead ones.

4. Skills improve. An attitude like his, generally doesn't.

5. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Great news, and best wishes.

:)

6. Good luck!

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    They made the right choice geetards are a dime a dozen. Dude you are a BASS player you have the power !

8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    My thoughts exactly.

9. I've had more fun in bands with adequate players that I've liked than bands with awesome players that I haven't.

IMO, chemistry is more important than virtuosity. Of course, there needs to be at least SOME level of ability... what your line of tolerance is, is up to you. Both ways.

10. when in doubt, remember:

chicks dance to the rhythm section. :D

11. scott123

scott123

Jun 25, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well said by Muttley, and apparently the band chose their level of tolerance.

12. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    What an attitude that guy seems to have. Who does he think he is, the lead singer?:p

Good luck with the new guy.

13. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Good luck!

I still can't get over that the guy is 40 years old... :rollno:

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021