what would you do with a $500 budget?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguppy, Dec 28, 2005.

1. just what the title says.

build me a pedalboard in the $500 range. Already have a Boss TU-2, EH Big Muff Pi, MXR Phase 90, Rane DC-24 Comp/Lmtr, & Ashdown RPM1 II with Sub Harmonizer & Valve Drive (when I see it all written it's kinda sweet :smug: )

What would you add? price does NOT include power supplies or cables.

I play in a classic rock, funk, blues cover band. I do not play punk or metal.

New or Used, whatever you deem cool.
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I would get an octaver of sorts. If you want just an octave pedal, check out the MXR Bass Octave, or if you're feeling fancy, check out the Digitech Whammy. I would also get something with a little less dirt. A delay would be nice too, and maybe even a Dunlop 105Q wah (my personal favorite bass wah.)
  3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Personally, I'd get an Analogman Bi-CompROSSor and a Foxrox Electronics Octron.
  4. aphex punch factory
    programmable sansamp bass driver
    sadowsky outboard pre
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    For funk, you're really gonna want an envelope filter of some kind, I'm no expert but I dig the Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mk. II.
  6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I'd get a EMMA Discumbobulator and a Fulltone Bassdrive, and Radial Bassbone. Good mix of tone shaping, slurpy funk, and a good fuzztone that still lets the bass sound through. If I had to strip my board down (not counting my loopers) that is what I would consider essential. You could plop your favorite filter and fuzz/OD in there and be just as happy. Heck, pair up the Line6 FM and DM and you have quite a little funk lab on your hands.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd get myself a used Geddy Lee :)

Or drop the money into my synth bass playing ;)

Or if I had to buy effects, EHX Bass Microsynth and either a POG or 16 Second Delay.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    AJ is right.... if you play funk, an envelope filter is a must!

My choices for curing the $500 Effect G.A.S:

EBS Bass IQ
    Programmable Sansamp BDDI

..but ya might be a bit short for cash.