1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what would you do with a $500 budget?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguppy, Dec 28, 2005.

1. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

just what the title says.

build me a pedalboard in the $500 range. Already have a Boss TU-2, EH Big Muff Pi, MXR Phase 90, Rane DC-24 Comp/Lmtr, & Ashdown RPM1 II with Sub Harmonizer & Valve Drive (when I see it all written it's kinda sweet :smug: )

What would you add? price does NOT include power supplies or cables.

I play in a classic rock, funk, blues cover band. I do not play punk or metal.

New or Used, whatever you deem cool.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I would get an octaver of sorts. If you want just an octave pedal, check out the MXR Bass Octave, or if you're feeling fancy, check out the Digitech Whammy. I would also get something with a little less dirt. A delay would be nice too, and maybe even a Dunlop 105Q wah (my personal favorite bass wah.)

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Personally, I'd get an Analogman Bi-CompROSSor and a Foxrox Electronics Octron.

4. aphex punch factory
    programmable sansamp bass driver
    sadowsky outboard pre

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    For funk, you're really gonna want an envelope filter of some kind, I'm no expert but I dig the Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mk. II.

6. I'd get a EMMA Discumbobulator and a Fulltone Bassdrive, and Radial Bassbone. Good mix of tone shaping, slurpy funk, and a good fuzztone that still lets the bass sound through. If I had to strip my board down (not counting my loopers) that is what I would consider essential. You could plop your favorite filter and fuzz/OD in there and be just as happy. Heck, pair up the Line6 FM and DM and you have quite a little funk lab on your hands.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd get myself a used Geddy Lee :)

Or drop the money into my synth bass playing ;)

Or if I had to buy effects, EHX Bass Microsynth and either a POG or 16 Second Delay.

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    AJ is right.... if you play funk, an envelope filter is a must!

My choices for curing the $500 Effect G.A.S:

EBS Bass IQ
    Programmable Sansamp BDDI

..but ya might be a bit short for cash.