1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    [edit] If anyone is going to respond to this, please read post 32 first :) Thanks.

Customer service rant regarding KIA. Move along if uninterested... this will probably be long.

Background history necessary:

My nearest KIA service center is part of a car mall that also sells and services Hyundai. Many moons ago when I owned a Hyundai my check engine light came on. I took it to them for servicing. They fixed it, and charged me $300. As soon as I drove away the light came back on and before going home I turned back and told them there was still a problem. They took the car back with a promise that there would be no additional charge. They called me back and told me it needed work that would cost me over $1000. I refused the work. They told me I had to pay $175 for diagnostics. They wouldn't give me my car back without payment. I did everything imaginable at the time, called every number, spoke in person with several people - I needed my car and had to pay them $175.

Years later, I own a KIA. I have a consistent clicking in my brakes that suddenly came out of nowhere. I figure I'll give these guys another shot. They're the only KIA dealer that's within walking distance. All others are 45 minute drive, at least. Guy in service department drives my car, doesn't hear the clicking, and I tell him to come with me - I'll drive and show him. He hears clicking but tells me it's something in my door, not my brakes. I'm certain it's my brakes. After arguing he tells me he'll check it out, but I need to sign an agreement that I'll pay service charges (close to $200) if he finds nothing wrong, and tells me, "And I guarantee you I'm going to find nothing wrong." Yeah, that actually happened.

So I take my car back, take a day off from work to go sit in another KIA service place while they fix it. When I bring it, THAT place they tell me it's my brake pads so I'll have to pay (something like $350). I'm certain it isn't my pads (car is only 2 years old) and tell them, but they get snippy with me, ask me if I'm a mechanic, and tell me they've fixed this problem before. They change my pads, I pay them, I drive the car away and the click is still there. The short story on this was I wound up getting brake pads for free that day, and they fixed the click in my brakes. I had to sit around for an entire day - but I lost it, and I think they got scared.

And now... I get an email, a phone call, and a snail mail informing me about a critical recall. The steering column is supposedly held together with glue that can come undone. They need to put a bolt in it because some people have completely lost the steering on their vehicle.

I immediately call the place near me to make an appointment, because it's the only one I don't have to take off from work to go to - and I can walk back and forth. I called last Friday. They couldn't give me an appointment until THIS friday. I say fine.

I show up yesterday.

They have no record of my appointment. I have email confirmation and show them. I'm told they can keep the car and fix it this morning, or I can bring it back monday. There are no other options, as there's nobody there who can do the work.

I leave the car.

They call last night and leave a message saying I can pick my car up today, they finished the recall work (there were 2 other minor recalls), but the steering recall, they didn't have the part. They ordered it and they'll call me when it comes in (thankfully I was able to email that message to myself, which I can pass along if ever needed).

I need my car for gigs that are an hour and a half away.

I call the big guys at KIA last night, and I'm assured there's no problem. They'll give me a rental or a loaner, it's all taken care of and notated in my account. I tell him I don't think it's going to be all that easy, and he assured me it's all written down, they have an Enterprise rent-a-car in their mall, and they might even give me a loaner. I ask for his name and he says he won't be there today, but I can just call if there's any problem. He assured me again that everything was notated, and there would be no problem.

Called this morning.

"Who said they'd give you a rental?" "Who's going to pay for the rental?" When I answered, I was told, "Good luck with that. KIA customer service has a history of having amnesia with things like that." I was told I could rent a car, but they're not paying and I could take it up with KIA customer service.

I call KIA customer service.

"Customer service hourse are Monday through Friday..."

I have to head out to gig in 8 hours.

What would you do?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  2. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Just in terms of making the gig ; is there nobody in the band you can car pool with?

Borrow friends / partners car?

Ask a friend with a car, if they want a night out at your gig ;)

Worst case scenario (cancelling, and public transport are not options) there are plenty of websites who act as brokers for all the major car rental outlets.

I used to use carehire3000 (I think it was called), and whereas booking the car directly through Enterprise was about $100 per day + insurance - booking via the 3rd party meant picking up the exact same car, from the exact same Enterprise dealership, for less than $40 all in.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Thanks.

Update: Called back to speak with someone else (but wound up speaking to the same guy), I’m guessing they checked my notated account - they said they’ll have a car for me at noon. He was nice about it.

Really needed the vent I got from my OP :). I was not in a good state of mind before that.

Gaolee and JRA like this.
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Remember when you could do your own tuneup in the driveway in a couple of hours?

You could adjust your own carb and change your own oil?

They don't sell cars anymore. They sell service contracts.

Glad you didn't get locked up @Joe Nerve

BurnOut and JRA like this.
  5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    And that's why you don't buy Kia ladies and gentlemen. Or Jeep for that matter.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    What's that again? Don't buy a KIA because they will provide a rental if they can't fix your car on time?

I'm confused

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I guess we read different accounts of Joe's experience. The amount of nonsense he put up with reminds me of what my gf went through with her Jeep Compass. It's simply unacceptable.

Tbone76 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    When I was living in New York, the only cars that didn't give me any problems were the rental cars I had in between.

JRA likes this.
  9. WWID?

Sell that vehicle & get a Honda.

The local Honda dealership gives me a vehicle to drive if they are doing anything more than a simple oil change & tire rotation.

and not one of their busted-up used vehicles, new hybrids

In the moment however, I'd have just rented a vehicle.
    They come pick you up these days.

Stumbo likes this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    The local Honda place is the same auto mall. Toyota and Acura too.

@jmattbassplaya , funny thing is when you call, their message says ranked #1 in customer service!

kobass and jmattbassplaya like this.
  11. I could literally walk to the local mall from the Honda dealer, or Red Lobster, Applebee's, and even the liquor store, but I'm quite pleased that they give me a loaner.

12. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Glad to hear it's working out.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

glad it worked out! break a leg! :thumbsup:

car dealers are the reason i started drinking! :roflmao:

14. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Yikes. Sorry to hear that. These guys sound like genuine losers. They must be related to the Chevy dealer four blocks from my house. They have refused to schedule routine maintenance that GM was paying for. After fighting them for a year and a half and having every bit of drama you can imagine, I decided that although what they SHOULD do is clear, what they're GOING to do is clearly not that. I have a choice of continuing to bang my head against this wall with no chance of success or apology from them, or simply accept that they are dbags and take my car elsewhere. No, I shouldn't have to do this, but I do. Fortunately, the next dealer is wonderful.

15. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Probably better than liquor stores being the reason you started driving.

;)

Tbone76 and JRA like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

^ :roflmao:

17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    ^This. or a Toyota(most reliable motors) With extended warranty.

Lots of models that can carry your equipment, get good mileage and are reliable.

Or lease one and write it off as a business expense.

Use some of that band $$ to improve the quality of your life!

I have a 1997 Honda Accord that's still going strong.

18. twelvetrombones

twelvetrombones Martian Ambassador Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I'd seriously consider not getting another Kia or Hyundai. Honda might be a better choice, but my wife's had a leaking valve cover gasket and needed a new steering rack before 100,000 miles, so it at least ours wasn't as reliable as you'd think. But the dealer gave us a free loaner the two times the car had to be at the dealership for more than a few hours.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I'm not sure what you should do now, but in the future never go back to these dealers. I never, ever take my vehicle to the dealer for any repairs or maintenance. They are too corrupt. It's best to find a small shop you can get to know well and build some trust.

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've always gone with independent shops that are recommended to me by others.

bolophonic, Stumbo and Gaolee like this.