1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    It’s not the car. It’s the service place. I love my KIA, and outside of that brake thing I never had any issues with it. I owned a Honda for a while that spent more time in the shop than on the road. And I know lots of people who’ve had issues with them as well. Toyatas on the other hand I never heard anyone complain about. I might consider one next time around. For now I’m not trading my car in though... it’s a 2015, I’m the original owners, and as stated already - I love it.

RE the situation in the OP, I think calling the main KIA number last night had an impact. After having time to look into it, they treated me like royalty. They had the loaner waiting for me, a really nice, new Toyota hybrid. It’s mine till they do the recall work. Yay.

2. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Never use the dealer. Find a good, honest, local guy.

3. I think I see what the problem is. You're too nice.

They do what they are supposed to do only when you get in their face. After so many years of getting away with shagging people around except when push comes to verbal shove that becomes the default startout position. You know what to do.

fhm555 likes this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Why would I do that with a car that's still under full warranty? Why would I do that on a recall that they send me an email, snail mail, and phone call about?Another mechanic couldn't fix it, nor document it, plus I'd probably void my warranty.

I somewhat agree, and trust me - the only reason I'm nice at all in the beginning is because I believe that ridiculous old saying - you catch more bees with honey than with whatever else that old saying says we try to catch them with. I'll add to this that I left a significant detail out of my first post for brevity sake. After dealing with them yesterday and getting the phone message, I had to have my wife call the guy this morning regarding the rental car. I knew I couldn't do it because I knew they were going to give me a hard time and I was going to fly off the handle. She can be much MUCH more diplomatic at times like this. My second phone call (that I made) was when their attitude flipped around. Now we're all friends.

I'm pretty sure they document all this stuff, and I have a feeling what went on with my brakes the previous time got documented. That time I really did lose it, and make a scene. They wanted me OUT of their dealership as soon as possible.

It's walking a tight rope I think sometimes. Ya gotta be nice, but ya gotta let them know you're not taking the BS they're handing out.

Ehhhh....

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Joe,buy a Honda.
    Don't mean to be blunt here but I have
    had really good luck with Hondas since 1984.
    Service guys are jerking you for sure IMHO.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I’ve gone through a LOT of cars, most of them new. You want the dealer service people to be on your side. They have to fight the manufacturer daily over reimbursement for warranty repairs. When there’s a gray area about warranty coverage you want the dealer advocating for you. They can’t win every warranty battle but you want them on your side for your specific battle.

Service advisers have customers arguing and yelling and disputing and making their work life hell multiple times a day. Sometimes it’s justified but many times it’s not.

If you’re not getting satisfaction, respectfully advise them you want to talk to the manufacturer’s district service rep.

Hondas are not perfect. Ask the owners of circa 2010 V6 Accords about oil consumption.

These days very few dealer service people are actual good mechanics. They’re technicians following a computer guided flowchart. Unfortunately sometimes the best you can hope for is the tech working on your car is at least literate and trying to fix your problem without guessing. You’re lucky if they have an actual master mechanic at all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  7. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I agree with the Kia, but at least IME not the Jeep. My sister researched Kia years ago and found nothing good about them. At least around here Jeep is huge. Grand Cherokees are everywhere. Even standard boxy Cherokees are all over the place and they haven't made one for 16 years. I have one, my family swears by Jeep. They seem to run forever with not a lot of work. But I know some others here haven't had the same experience.

One of the reasons I stick with older vehicles that are simple and I can work on myself, is because I don't want to be owned by the dealership or shop. In my younger years when I didn't have much skills for car repair, I got taken by more than one shop. One's work got me into a wreck. Never again if I can avoid it.

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    16-hd-road-glide-ultra-1-large. I seem to recall you saying you were thinking about one of these, once upon a time... or was that a different Joe Nerve?
    16-hd-freewheeler-1-large. They make these, too, if you want to carry stuff... and I've never had a dealer problem anywhere I've lived, in the 37 years I've owned one..,:whistle:

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I hate you had to deal with all of that Joe.

I recently went OFF on a Leonard dealer near me over a Leer camper shell on my truck. These things cost several thousand dollars.

The first one they sent was the wrong shell. That's too long of a story to even get into here. Needless to say they replaced that one.... eventually.

But the second one has been nothing but trouble. It leaks and won't close properly. I have taken it back to the dealership a dozen times to have it "adjusted" but I'm usually back in less than a month.

Fast forward to last Monday. I was running late to work. I'm never late. Ever. I despise being late for even the most casual of events. I'm am known for never ever being late. But that morning the Fingers girls had decided they needed to inject some drama I to daddy's life.

Traffic was a beast (as much as it can be in a town this size). I was stuck behind an old lady in a Buick..... the kind of old lady who should have stopped driving a decade ago. I was about to lose my mind in her and POP!!!

The door to my camper shell sprung open...In the rain....with so.e of my stuff back there.

Well, I lost it. And I couldn't kill my children because that's frowned upon these days. I couldn't kill the old lady because I didn't have time to hide the body...... late for work, Remember?

So I called the Leonard store. Oh I let them hold it all. They got the kids anger, the traffic anger, the old lady anger and now the camper shell anger. I didn't drop any F bombs but I let them hold the rest of the list.

They will be sending my camper shell back to Leer to see if they can fix it. The tech here thinks they can't and will have to make me another. The folks at Leer have been informed that I'm the kind of guy that will drive down there and deal with THEM if I have to.

It's sad, but these days you just have to go off on people sometimes to get treated with respect. I, like you Joe, am not asking for special treatment. I'm just asking that your really expensive product works or you fix it.

craigie likes this.
  10. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Seems every car has had recalls these days even Toyota. So funny how people have different opinions of different brands. I’ve seen so many jeeps with rusted out steel that aren’t very old. My friend told me his Ford ranger’s engine is known for going over 350k km’s. Really? First I heard of that from ford and I don’t see too many of those older trucks around. Bottom line is vehicles are a necessary evil and the biggest money pits. Not to piss off any classic car nuts. Those are more like works of art and everyone loves to see them.

P.s. anytime someone promises you something it’s a good idea to follow up with an email right away to document it.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    IANAL, but I found this:

Will Servicing a Car Elsewhere Void my Warranty?

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I'm going to put a couple of things out there (some already repeated a couple of times :)) and then abandon this thread.

I LOVE my KIA. I have no desire to own any other vehicle, have owned MANY other vehicles, know all about the reputation of Hondas and Toyotas - but am sticking with this car. I am not selling a 2 year old car that I love in order to buy someone else's favorite car. When I get rid of this car I will most likely buy another KIA.

My OP isn't about hating KIA's, it's about struggles with customer service. If I bought a Honda or Toyota I would be dealing with the VERY SAME PEOPLE, as they're all part of the auto mall that's within walking distance of my house.

There is no way on earth I'm going to go to an outside mechanic and pay for things that are under warranty on my car. That's one of the main reasons I bought a new car in the first place.

And finally - though it's taken some aggravation and fighting, in every case except the very first with my Hyunai, I eventually got the service I needed. For free.

And I still love my car.

I'm not buying another car.

I'm not taking my car to an outside mechanic for a company recall. Unless someone's mechanic is a family member they've loved and trusted for many years, I'm not sure why anyone would do that.

OldDog52 likes this.
  13. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Sounds like when you took your Hyundai in they reset the trouble light but charged you for a repair. That was a small claims court item right there. It pays to have a professional opinion by a certified mechanic before going to a dealership, just someone who will give you an educated guess into the direction you should be looking. I've owned Hondas since 2008 and on my Pilot there was a transmission recall that was never addressed on it. In Philly I needed to have the fourth gear switch changed and I brought it to the attention of the service department that I was aware of the recall and asked them to rebuild the transmission due to the recall which would have been free. I was told the recall expired and that they would repair the switch at cost. In 2014 I move to Wisconsin and have the same problem with the switch. They see the VIN number on my car, run it, and tell me there is a current recall on my transmission....got a new one, free of charge. Moral of story is this, those dealers and service managers aren't always correct and you can call the manufacturers 800 line and speak with a customer service agent who in most cases will act as go between for you as a consumer of their product and the dealership. And don't be afraid of challenging them.

14. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

In general I agree with this statement, but not here. What about "The car is under warranty and there is a RECALL" is so difficult to understand?

Sheesh.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  15. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    :) Was this a response to another thread, or a parable that went over my head?

16. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    LOL! I meant to post this in another thread. I can imagine how confusing this must be. "What the . . . . . ?????"

I'll delete it.

17. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    He's saying that after all the hell you went through, that customer service guy looked after you in the end, so you owe him an awesome night out in return.

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Not sure how I missed this thread.....

Joe -If you ever need an opinion on a car related matter, PM me.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    They gave a loaner. I have no idea when I’m getting my car back. They told me they got the part they needed, but they don’t have the tool to put it in. I have to wait for that now.

The car I have is a hybrid so I’m saving some $$$ at least.