Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Beav, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I'm having the worst time trying to find a replacement cab(s) for my Ampeg SVT410 HLF. First off, the only thing I really like about my currect cab is the wattage rating. I hate the size and the booming low end. So I've deciced to buy some or one Avatar cab. I want the 2x10, but I'm scared I'll have too little low end. So, I'm not sure if I want the 2x10 plus a 15, or if I just want the 2x12 combo. the only reason I'm skeptical about the 2x12 is, I'm not sure it'll fit in the back of my car. Can anyone help me?

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I'm pretty sure the 2x12 would probably be smaller than your SVT cab. Check out the sizes on the websites and such.

If it is in fact bigger... then measure your car and see how much room you have.

And if its STILL up on the air... well, you can always get a pair of SB112's. Or get a B210 and one SB112. There's lots of solutions and possibilities :)

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    will the 12 give me some decent low mids?

4. sk8rboymc

sk8rboymc

Mar 28, 2003
    Schroeder sounds like a problem solver here.

5. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Yes, 12" speakers give you decent low mids. A 2x12 is the cab of choice lately because they are light and powerful. The Avatar cabs are great for price and quality. Dr. Bass also makes the same and more configurations housing the same speakers. Differences are Dr. Bass are a little smaller, lighter and use a special polymer coating in place of that nasty rat fur carpeting. During your research check them out at Dr.Basscabs.Com If memory serves me right the Dr. Bass 2x12 is approx. 24" tall, 21" wide and 15" deep at 52lbs. :smug:

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    try Aguilar GS112 or GS212. I have two gs112s and they have great deep tone WITHOUT being boomy. I hear some people say that two gs112s are deeper than one gs212, but depends how many trips you want to make for a gig.

7. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    115 cabs have never let me down, & they are pretty portable as well. Go with what you like though. I've never really tried 12" speakers for bass; that might be cool.

8. I really wish I would have gotten the Avatar 212 instead of the 115. How well...

9. wat about 4*8" cabs? i know ashdown makes some

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. My 1210 will fit in any trunk or hatchback, and is deeper than any Avatar 410, 212 or 115.