Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave, Jun 17, 2005.

1. I have a QSC RMX 850 in my racked bass amp. The rack weighs 45 pounds according to my bathroom scale. The things kind of a pain in the butt to haul around as the power amp sticks out the back of the rack, the weight of the rack caused the front covers latch to break, so I have no handles, and its just overly heavy, at least in my mind. What do you guys think I could get for a 3-4 month RMX 850 in perfect condition. I'm thinking about possibly upgrading or getting a different power amp.

I know the PLX series are lightweight, but still being in high school, these are a little out of my price range, and I prefer to not buy used electronics (no problem with used basses if I can try it first). I have a job, but only make about 350 a month so I cant afford probly anything much more than 400, depending on what I can get for my RMX.

Ive looked at Carvins amps and they seem to be well made, lightweight and not nearly as deep as the RMX. I have also seen the Stuart (sp?) amps and I know they are very light, but Im not sure on the price, havent been able to find a quote anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated, as always.

Dave

2. I have found this. I believe its new, I remember seeing the lesser powered version.

Anyone had any experience with this or ART as a brand at all?

Link

If so, how do you think it would match up with a Ampeg SVP-CL

Thanks

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just bought a used stewart Pro Reference 1000. Its supposed to be 11lbs, but my scale says 14. By the time you add the preamp, any pedals and all the cables the weight sneaks up pretty quick. You cant always trust the published specs on these things. I am in the same boat as you I cant afford much and I need it to be lightweight.

Right now i have a separate power amp and pre and pedal and cables to hook them all together, plus a lite homebrew case. It all adds up and is a hassle to *keep together*. So I am reconsidering the poweramp / preamp thing.

You might want to consider getting a powerful "all in one" amp such as eden wt 500 etc, gallien krueger 700rb, 1001, EA iamp 500 etc. If you sold your poweramp and preamp you *should* be able to swing a used one. I know you prefer new, but this stuff is bloody expensive new. Try to buy from a trusted seller (such as the guys on TB!) and you should be alright buying used.

4. I dont do any pedals or anything. My case an pre weigh about 10 pounds together, so if i could get a leightweight power amp, Id be fine. The size of it is fine and I really like the sound Ive got. I just got this setup, so I dont really want to sell it and lose hundreds of dollars on equipment Ive only had a couple months.

Ive found a lightweight, cheap and semi powerful 1 space power amp, the ART SLA-2. Ive not had any experience with this company, and anyone who has, what level of quality is it? Behringer (I hope not), Hartke, Ampeg, Eden, EA?

BTW, thanks TORIN for your help and suggestions. Theres is a chance I may end up going back to just a head unit, just wouldn't like losing too much money on almost brand new equipment.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, if you are looking at losing at alot of money I would work with what you have.

BTW, I have heard the ART stuff can be noisey and is closer to behringer than the good stuff like eden etc

I think I saw a stewart 1.2 on bassgear.com for $400. Fairly powerful poweramp at 1200w bridged. Its light too at 11lbs... well i have the PR 1000 which is very close to it, but like i said previously its spec'd at 11 but weighs 14lbs. These amps dont have fans and have safety features that shut them down if they are driven too hard. So that may be a concern.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'd advise against that ART power amp. Or at least try it before you buy it, it might not be accurate enough. Reliability / quality is one more thing.

You know, I used to prefer new - but now I'll gladly take a well-kept used one, too, as I can save lots of money and can even get things that are not always available.

Check out the For Sale part here and look for a smaller PLX or a Stewart, those should be lighter-weight.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    just curious what rack case / bag are you using? sounds nice and light and i am thinking of getting one.

:D

8. Dang, was hoping the ART stuff would be better, but that Stuart might be what Im looking for for 400 bucks.

For y rack case I have a Grundorf Mighty Light 4 space case. They arent expensive either, mine was around 65 IIRC. When I got mine in the mail I almost thought it was an empty cardbord box it was so light, but its made well as long as you dont put too much weight on the clasps that hold the front lid on. Mine came loose after about a month of carrying my 50 pound rack by the handle on the front lid.

Thanks Frank and TORIN for your help in avoiding a less than stellar piece. Ill have to look up the Stuart on bassgear, but I gotta run to work now.

Thanks
    Dave

9. bump ta te bump

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    another option is to go with 2 racks, one for the power amp and one for the preamp. i use two 2 space skb racks like this and love it.

11. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    +1

...and if your power amp is heavy, just get a rack with wheels

12. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You could work out?
    Haha just messin.

Try getting a lighter amp. I know that gk has light and reliabe amps. Not to mention their loud.

13. I've been using one for over a year now, and I love it!
    It's only one rack space, light(15lbs), and plenty of power.
    I use a full size rack from SKB, so it doesn't stick out of the back.

14. Have you had any reliability problems with it?

As of now, this and the stuart seem to be the best choices. Ive never really heard of Soundtech, so if possible, what other well known brand name could you compare them to as far as quality goes?

Thanks

Edit: Also, what output/inputs does the amp have, and what pre do you use with it?

15. As far as reliability, I haven't had any trouble at all.
    I've used it indoors and outdoors. The fans are not even
    noticeable (at a gig), you might notice them if you were
    to use it for recording. I can't really compare it to other
    brands for reliability 'cause it's my first power amp that
    I've used for bass.

The amp has 1/4 inch and xlr inputs for each channel,
    and banana plug outputs for each channel.

I'm using a BBE BMax for my pre amp. This rig can get a
    great tight punchy sound with plenty of bottom.

One thing to consider, the Soundtech bridges into 8 Ohms,
    so if you want to use it for a one cabinet situation, and your
    cabinet of choice is only 4 Ohms, you'll only be able to use
    one side of your amp. But, if you're cabinet is 8 Ohms, then
    you get all 800 watts!

16. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx

However, I think it only bridges into 8 ohms

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You will get better results if you look for "Stewart". Not trying to be a spelling nazi, it's just that I noticed you have spelled it "Stuart" more than once.
    If it were me, I would check with Lord Valve about prices on the PLX series.

18. Haha, thanks for the correction. I posted here with very little sleep and wasnt really thinking much.

Bet spelling it right would help a bit.