Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you do???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PICK, Jul 8, 2005.

1. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok, Here i am again contemplating too many things as usual. I have decided i need more power from my WT-550. I currently have an 8 ohm Eden 410xlt. I have decided that a switch to at least a 4 ohm cab is needed.
    Option 1. Trade the 410xlt in on an Epifani 410ul therefore getting the 4 ohm load i want and basically halving the weight i have to lug.
    Option 2. Trade the 410xlt in on 2 4 ohm Epifani 210ul's therefore getting the 4 ohm load i want and having the option of running the head at 2 ohms and getting 750 watts into 410's.

Just a question as well. How would the 410xlt at 8 ohms compare to a 210ul at 4 ohms???? I know the Eden is more efficient and is generally gonna move more air but is there gonna be a big volume difference????

Thanks.

2. I have no experience of any of the cabs you mention, but I would suggest you also consider the handling advantages of two 2x10s.
    a) You only need to take half your gear to the rehearsal/small gig.
    b) You have less risk of damaging your back shifting gear in and out of your home/vehicle/venue.
    c) If you have lighter gear, it is easier to carry, so you are less likely to crash door frames with it etc. so it will look good for longer.
    d) You have more chance of storing it out of sight at home, which could be part of your arguement for the upgrade.

3. Hi,

I'd say go for the configuration that gives you the most flexibility.
    i've had a look at the eden site and the epifani site and it looks like the UL 2x10 ( 500 watts) would fit the wt 550's power rating at 4 ohms better than an eden xlt ( 700 watts).

All I can say is i have an eden wt 800 and a 700 watt 4 ohm xlt....courtesy of coming back to oz from the uk 8 years ago and a great exchange rate...but not being able to bridge the amp to its 800watt capacity ( only does that at 8 ohms) and not having another xlt to add to the mix meant i was quite underpowered with a loud drummer.
    My solution has been to get a power amp that matched the xlt's 700 watts at 4 ohms and run the eden as a preamp.

Using it this way there's more oomph and cost less than either buying another eden xlt cabinet ( about $2700 or thereabouts these days) and its a lot more versatile.

There's room to run things off channel two on the power amp - like a woofer for the kick - plus I guess I could use the two channels on the eden at 400 watts pers side if I needed or wanted to ( or had enough cash to buy extra cabinets).

Anyway, this worked out better for me financially for me at the time, and is quite a versatile rig.

I like the idea of going with 2 2x10's however, and mottlefeeder makes some good points....the xlt really is a bastard to lift.

I hope this makes sense, just got back from geraldton and have had a couple of beams.

cheers

Stew.