Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sean_w_mcgrath, Jul 8, 2005.

1. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Ok here is my scenario:

I play in a classic rock meets modern rock band and am looking at getting a new bass. Right now I have Stingray 4 string 3EQ with Piezo (love this thing) and a Yamaha BBG5s (not so in love with this thing). I use the 5 string (yamaha) on a 4 or 5 of my band's original songs.

Now I am debating on getting a Warwick Thumb 5 Bolt-on (used) to replace the yamaha or getting a American Vintage Fender Jazz 62 RI. I love the sound and feel of the Warwick but the tone isn't very versatile IMO. The Fender on the other hand, I love the look of, I find the sound very versatile, it is passive (better for some effects I am interested), but I don't find them to be the best to play. I am used to wider necks, so I may consider putting a P bass neck on it.

Both are roughly the same price.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

- Sean

2. Sparkie

Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    "use a frickin 12 gauge,...what do you think? gawd!.."

3. The Jazz.

IMHO, I love my 'Ray - it has a very distinctive tone and great playability.

For a different and equally great sound, I also use my Jazz because I just fing love it.

Between them both, I believe I have just about every tone I need.

The Jazz neck is way thinner and more C than the 'Ray, definitely, but it doesn't really effect the way I play my bass(es)

Go with your heart, mate. I just think the Jazz/Ray combo is unbeatable! :hyper:

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    First of all, I'd avoid the J 'cause if you're in a cover band, as you've discovered, the 5 comes in darn handy.

I'd also avoid the Thumb for exactly the reason you stated... they're very distinct and as great sounding as they are, they're also not very versatile at all (IMHO). My personal issues with the Thumb in particular are also that I can NOT handle the ultra narrow string spacing on the fives, the extra thick necks, a tendency to neck dive on the Thumb in particular, and overall bass weight, but that's just me. :)

If I were you, noting you love your Ray, check into one of the new dual pickup SR5's, or get something like a Fender J Deluxe 5 (or P Deluxe 5)... yeah, even the MIM's. VERY versatile, GREAT at covering all the sounds in the songs you play, and not that expensive. Also, the Lakland Skyline 55-01 is about an unbeatable value and a fantastic bass!

For a less traditional tone, but great versatility maybe a Lakland 55-02. I can't get enough of mine.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you like the J, but find the neck unbearable, put a P-neck on it. I did.

How low do you go on your five? Do you use the B or just D?

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
  7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    AHhhhhh, tru dat, d-tuner... IMHO, tho, a detuned E string, especially a 34" one, is SO floppy... especially after having played on a 5 with that note being on a full tensioned string...

I was going to put one on my Geddy until I actually tried one. Yeah, it "works", but IMHO not very well.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Really? I hardly notice excess flop on my Hipshot equipped basses with a 105. I've used 110's to cure it, but it's really not a problem at all.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Dunno, maybe it's whatever you're used to. I'd never played a hipshot before, so the only low D's I've ever played are on B strings. Admittedly, I've only played a couple, and in both cases, they were 105's, but in both cases, I like using the B string on a 5 string way better.

Ironically, the reason I was considering it was because I love playing my Geddy so much, yet I need some of those low notes for some covers, like "Save a Horse". Ah well...

10. that was the most stupid movie ever made in cinema history

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, I liked the movie the first time I saw it, went with a bunch of great friends, but every time since then, and all the little kids who quote lines from that movie and wear "Vote for Pedro" shirts just turn me off.