What would you do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a chance to swap my new SR5 for a new Peavey Cirrus 4 with a really beautiful birdseye maple fingerboard. I really like my SR5 but I also love the Ken Smith vibe that I get from the Cirrus. I also like the aggressive slap potential of a four.

The downside is that my SR5 sounds great too and I really like 5s for playing in church. I also have a Lakland 55-01 which has a great B string and sounds fine, but it isn't the same as my SR5.

I know I could save and get a Cirrus without swapping, but if that were not an option, would you take the 55-01/Cirrus combo or the SR5/55-1 combo.
  2. Unless you abso-fricken-lutely want the Cirrus 4, do not get rid of the SR5 or you shall regret it later on in life.

Heed the warning of one who knows all too well........
  3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    whats an SR5?

i dont think would trade anything for a peavey guitar
  4. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Now that is just ignorant, the Cirrius' are very highly rated instruments. Tbh I wouldn't know what to do, go with what suits your music best.
  5. Take out a loan...buy the Cirrus 4 outright...keep the SR5...

be happy....be in debt...
  6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

its not ignorant. its my own personal opinion. and last time i checked, i'm entitled to my own opinion.

i'm sure they are a great opinion, but IMO i wouldn't trade anything for them. maybe you should read closer to what i say next time. because just because i wouldn't trade anything for one doesn't mean that i wouldn't BUY one.

7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    good GOD NOOO.

Don't trade a great bass like an SR5 for a PEAVY 4!!!!! If you like Peavy that much sell the SR5 first and then buy something else. Won't you miss the B string?
  8. I like to go out on the "net" and check stuff out when I see things in threads, so I went looking for SR5's. (Didn't realize it was the "StingRay"). Here's the really WEIRD part. I found this quote in another site and thought I'd throw it back at you, since it was you! :eek: I don't know how long ago you posted this on the Ernie Ball Forum, but you just happened to say:

"I am growing more and more in love with my SR5. I recently picked up a Lakland 55-01 as a backup. It is a great playing and sounding bass, but my Stingray is like butter! I know my Skyline is less expensive bass, but whenI compare it to my Stingray 5, I can see why it is a classic."

Man! If that don't say all. If you can find a way to get the Peavey and still keep the StingRay, I'd say do it. Otherwise, you might want to re-think trading it off. You may end up regretting it in the future! Just a thought...

...it's amazing what you can find when "surfing", isn't it? ;)
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    MODNY, SR5 stands for Stingray 5 (Music Man). I won't make the trade. I thought about it, but I know I'll miss that Stingray. My 55-01 is cool, but it cannot replace the SR5.
  10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

you might want to watch what u say about peavey's when AJ is around. we dont want anyone crying or anything :meh: :rolleyes:
  11. :scowl: :rolleyes:
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Gottawalk, I know I said that and I meant it too. ;) That Peavey is sweet also. It has a killer, I mean killer slap tone! I would love a Cirrus 4, 5, or 6. That said, as tempted as I was, I know I like having two fives for backup purposes. I just used this forum as a sounding board to see if anyone had any good arguments for a switch. So far I see none and I think that my gut feeling to keep my SR5 is the right decision.
  13. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Peavey makes quality instruments. You don't need to be such a brand-name snob just because you think it makes you look cooler.
  14. You're the man, doc. I'll have to check out the "Cirrus" line sometime. Haven't played one, yet. I learned something, again. That's what it's all all about! Thanks! :)
  15. Look, if you're gonna go and diss Peavey's (or anyone's for that matter,) instruments, do us all a favor and go choke on a gun barrel.... We don't need you around contributing nothing to a thread... Hell, we don't need you around period.

With that said... I think you should ditch the Skyline and trade for the Peavey Cirrus, they are REAL quality instruments and sound very aggresive when played correctly. They've got this great modern tone, and give off a real custom vibe with some of their wood selections.

Would it be possible for you to obtain a 5 string Cirrus? The B String on those beasts are to DIE for!!! (Just take a listen to "eVil J" from the band "Otep.")

I own a Peavey Millenium, and couldn't have picked a better bass to start off with. I don't regret buying a Peavey one bit, and if a consensus were to be taken on TB, I'm sure not too many Peavey owners would regret a damn thing.

16. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    That seems a bit harsh. I'm pretty sure Dr. Cheese asked for peoples opinions.

Personally I'd keep the SR5. I LOVE those basses.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really don't want anyone dead over a difference of opinion about a bass. That said, I agree about Millenniums. I had a Peavey USA Millennium 5 that was killer in every way. It had a wicked B string also. :bassist:
  18. Okay, what I said was a little harsh, I'll admit that.

I'm the guy who loves his Peavey, and will always love his Peavey, and will never get rid of his Peavey. I hate it when people stereotype brands, especially when they've never even played them! I just have zero tolerance for that kind of crap.

I guess I get mad easily, because I get the same line over and over from bassists in my area "You play a Peavey? What a piece of ****! Peavey sucks!" That's coming form a guy who spent $1100 on a USA Fender that sounds no better than my bass.

Anyway, statement retracted, I'm calmed, and cooled down.

Yes, everyone is entitled their own opinions, but there is a line between giving an opinion, and blatantly bashing something.

19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm not dissing peavey instruments at all

i'm just voicing my opinion

if you read my posts, i never mentioned once that peavey's were of lacklester quality
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You just proved you're a classy person. Admitting you're wrong or over the top about the biggest thing you can do in an environment where no one ever sees you, or anywhere for that matter. :)