What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ohmslaw, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    So this is the situation. If you had a choice what would you get to improve your sound. A 5 string Bongo or a Schroeder cabinet. Right now I'm playing a Cirrus 5 string through a Peavey Firebass 700 through a Peavey 412 cabinet. Remember its either one. The Schroeder I'm interested in is the 310212. I definatly encourage opinions and why you'd go that paticular route.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Since you would still be using the same amp head, I believe a Bongo, with its very powerful EQ (the EQ on the Cirrus ain't bad), will make more of a difference than a cabinet change.
  3. Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    Thanx, Slater. Anybody else?
  4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'd personally go with the Schroeder cab. Your present cab may not handle you Cirrus' B-string as well as the Schroeder cab will.
  5. IME cabs can have a much larger effect on sound than anything else in the signal chain (OK, barring effects pedals, and EQ) - Go with the cab
  6. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    +1, I'd say the cab too.
  7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the 310212 cab. It rules the world. I think it made me breakfast this morning...that's how sweet it is. Eggs, bacon...extra crisp. mmmmm. Seriously, it is way smaller than an 8x10 Ampeg and kicks out the juice x2! Do you like your Peavey bass? Are you just looking for a different tone? If you still dig on the Peavey, and just want the tone to change a bit (more oomph!) go with the cab....if you are looking to get a completely different sound altogether...change basses.
  8. Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    Man, I dunno. I do dig the Cirrus. I think what I don't like about the 412 is the weigh, 132 lbs. The sound is good. So again, more opinions please.
  9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Help us out here... what about your sound/rig are you not sure of? Cirri are great basses (IMO... I own a 6'er), and I swear by my Schroeder 1210. I'm not a huge fan of Peavey heads and cabs, but those who like them swear by their power and reliability. I've only played a couple of Bongos, but they seem pretty darn sweet, particularly with that monster EQ. The point is that you've got a lot of solid options at your disposal, and you need to figure out what you are lacking before you start replacing pieces at random. What more are you looking for?
  10. Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    Well its one of things that at one time or another ya decide ya want to upgrade. Granted I love my quilt-top tiger eye 5 string Cirrus and I wouldn't replace it by getting a Bongo, just have the two share the spotlight, so to speak. So it looks that what I'm asking is if you only had the funds for either a Schoeder 310212 or a MM Bongo with all things being what they are which would ya go for.

If you had to choose:

1) 5 Cirrus/Firebass II/Schroeder 310212
    2) Bongo/Firebass II/Peavey 412 cab
  11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    schroeder hands down. its doubtful you'll find many used (ie cheaper) schroeder's, but you are more likely to find a second-hand bass.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Buy the cab. A great cab makes a good bass sound better...while a great bass through a mediocre cab just sounds mediocre. Buy the Schroeder.
  13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    First of all, do you need 2100 watts? How much can your head push? Where are you playing that you would need that much cabinet?

I have a 1212 which handles 1000 watts @ 4ohms and I am currently running it at 50% capacity.

The difference is $460 between the 2 cabinets, I say get a smaller cabinet, save the extra cash and get a Schroeder and the Bongo.
  14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You're quite in a quandary huh?
    Just as a good bass through an inferior cab will sound bad, an inferior bass (that is, anything that is NOT a Music Man) through a good amp will also sound bad.

Why not try the Bongo first? It will be easier and cheaper to return or ship back if it doesn't work out.
  15. Ohmslaw

Aug 24, 2005
    I plan on stepping up to the Carvin B1500 which @ 4 ohms will give me much more power than my Firebass. The question of wether I need a cabinet as big as the 310212 is I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
  16. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana

I played through 4x12 for a few years, but they were SWR 2x12's (two of them). I have played through the Peavey 4x12 once, and IMHO it was "muddy." Granted, I didn't have my SWR head and used the one there, but I could not dial in what I wanted. I also have the Max700 and I think it is a "best buy" type head - you don't realize how good it is until you actually go play one a few weekends OTJ, and the price is very good. I don't think you would have any problems there.

Go with the cab.
  17. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree 100% on getting the bigger cab. Don't let some of these guys tell you that you are getting "too much" cab. They have no idea how and where you play. I have a sneakin' suspicion that some of the people asking "what, are you trying to kill people with your loudness?" are the same guys that play in jazz trios where a 1x10" cabinet will work fine for them. A 310212 is alot of cab...but compare it too an 8x10"....the cab that most of us rockers are used to...it's a small cabinet! If your Peavey 4x10 is doing just fine in the loudness department for you...maybe check into the 410 Schroeder or the 21012. But if you are wanting full on mayhem...get the biggie!
  18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    If you're happy with the way your current bass plays, feels, and sounds, then I'd say get the cab too.
  19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Why a 310212? That's a very big cab.
    IMO, even a 21012 or a 410 would be enough (I have a 1210) - even saves a few bucks and a couple of pounds.

You said you like the Cirrus.
    You said you don't like the cab's weight.

What were you asking? ;)
  20. If you like your bass and the bass's sound, then you need to work on the "delivery" system. Go with the cab, then in a while, go check out some different heads using your bass through them, and see what the differences are.

I had an old Peavey head, ("BASS"; the original), but it didn't seem to have the definition for me, and that's unusual for a Rick, and then a Fender Jazz, so I got a new cab, (Fender 410 pro), and what a difference! After a while I changed heads, to upgrade and have something a little more reliable since the age of the Peavey, (25+years!), had me a little skittish about how much longer it would last, and THAT made a big difference again! Sounded just like getting a new bass, but I got to keep the one I loved playing!

The only reason I've gotten another bass since then was to change my overall sound, and that was to go fretless for Jazz purposes.

Keep the bass and go with the cab. ;)