What would you do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Jan 12, 2006.

1. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I purchased and Eden Amp and a D410XLT4 Cab. Whith the amp I ordered the cab would have been fine. Recieved the Cab, started asking where's the amp? After a week, my vendor still can't get an answer due to NAMM preparations and the holidays. He upgrades me to a WT1205 for a great price. No problem, but the cab I have is rated @ 700 watts @ 4 ohms and the amp puts out 1200 watts @ 4 ohms. Eden recomends the 610XLT for this amp.
    Now should I keep the 410 and hope I never use all of the amp and fry it? Should I buy the 610 and sell the 410? Should buy a 610 and keep them both for a while?
    I have the money.
    I plan on staying Eden.
  2. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Absolutely keep what you have, theres nothing wrong with it. There's information all over this forum about overpowering cabs. I think the genral principle is that cabs sound their best when they're pushed near their limits, so you want an amp thats more powerful than the cabinet, to get to those limits, without killing the amp. To get the WT1205 to actually run at 1200 watts, you'd have to max out all the controls. You're in the clear, and you'll have a better sound this way.
  3. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Unless you need the added volume one might expect from the 610, and assuming that you like the way the 410 sounds/cuts/smells etc., keep the 410.

You won't blow up the 410 unless you act a fool, as my grandmother would say. Cabinet ratings are not like values for fuses (hit 1200 watts and BOOM, 1150 watts is fine). Many folks find throwing more power into a rated cab allows you to have the benefit of more headroom, amp runs cooler. I play 2100 watts into a 1000 watt cabinet, but I don't crank it. My old 350 watt amp ran out of steam pretty quickly.

A 610 is heavier than a 410, won't fit in the back seat,and 410 probably fine for most applications.

However, if really want the 610, scratch the above, you will surely cause a fire with the 410, and must order 610 or the bunny gets it.

If you want the 410 and 610, which is a 1010, you won't have to worry, unless you wear earplugs. Without ear plugs after a while you could have a family of ocelots living in the cabinet and not be able to hear the difference. Or a car horn for that matter.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you like the amp, keep it!

if you need more volume get a 210 or another 410.

BTW what amp were you thinking of?
  5. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I like the amp just fine. The one I was going to get was a WT800B, for some reason they could not get an answer as to when I would be getting mine, so I got a discount deal on this one which is fine I love the amp, and the cab for that matter.
    I played guitar for so long that the whole headroom thing is having a hard time setting in. With a Marshall you get cabs rated higher than the amp because you overdrive the amp. I guess I still have that mentality and need to adjust. It's not that I don't like the cab it sounds great. I fried a fender guitar cab once, though never a Marshall, so I'm just a little gunshy.
  6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    spending that kinda money I don't blame you for being gunshy. I've never blow up any amp/speaker...yet! my aguilar's are rated at 600w total and my amp at 1200w. I trust myself, because I listen!, but I don't always trust others who get to use the amp when I'm not around, at church. no problems sofar!
  7. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Solid advice in this thread, you'll be fine but I wanted to point out:

Quote: "...I think the genral principle is that cabs sound their best when they're pushed near their limits..."

Is not correct; systems mainly fail at their interfaces and at their limits. The reason why you would want more power/headroom is so that you won't need to push your amp to its limits.

Enjoy the new rig! and I'll mention the Eden forum again if you'd like to get opinions from a bunch of Eden users: www.eden-electronics.com/forum
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Trust your ears. If your sound starts breaking up, you are pushing the cab too hard. As long as you have a clean sound , you're fine.
  9. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Get the 8x10".
    V O L U M E !!! :eek: :hyper:
  10. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    In "thoery"..you could go up to 2x the RMS..so up to1400 watts and be safe. Your going to have so much juice you won't need to crank it up all that much anyway.
  11. This is where I cringe a bit....

I'm running a QSC RMX2450 poweramp (1400 watts RMS) into a GK 410SBX (400 watts RMS). Sounds great but if I go much above 11 oclock on the QSC and play an A (only that note, no others) I can hear the cones not particularly liking the experience.

I don't want to get more cabs because I like the convenience that this smallish, lightish cab gives me....BUT I am seriously considering sending off to Beyerdynamic (the distributors for GK here in the UK) for a set of the 200 watt drivers that they put into the 410SBX-PLUS cab. That'll take the power handling of the cab from 400 to 800 watts RMS.

Do you think that'll sort me out or am I forgetting about something important?