1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what would you do??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrBungle3, May 13, 2006.

1. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    Summer is here, and I have saved up to do some summer repairs on my basses. I have wanted to 2 do mods on 2 different basses of mine:

1) new onboard preamp (demeter I have read is the way to go) on my Ibanez SR885.

2) Fralin pickups on my Finder Jazz

Now in defense of my Ibanez, it is a light bass with a fast slim neck, and is set up beautifully. I have turned it into a tenor 5-string (E A D G C) and like the idea of having a bass like that around. The amount that I could get for selling the Ibanez isnt much, so I would rather keep it around. I dont like the sound of the Ibanez electronics, and would like to get a hot modern sound...something that could really bring out color and fullness to the upper register.

And for the Fender, I have just read great things about lindy fralin's pickups and would like to swap out the stock for those.

Is the Ibanez worth saving or will it require new pick-ups as well? Should I go for both or just go with working on the fender?

Thanks

2. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    ...reading further, would an Aguilar obp3 be a better choice for more power/color on the bass than the Demeter? The ibanez is a light bass wood and so having a preamp that would bring out more 'natural' sounds wouldnt be best I dont think. I am looking for something that can take this mediocre bass and make it sound good.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    In my experience, a good preamp will make a good bass sound better but it won't make a mediocre bass sound great. That being said, decent electronics can make a good bass sound mediocre...

If the bass sounds better in passive mode than active mode, then a preamp upgrade might well help you out.

If you could be a bit more specific about what you don't like about the electronics (too bright?, not bright enough?), I can maybe recommend some things for you.

4. MrBungle3

MrBungle3

May 16, 2002
    Dallas
    1st - there isnt good midrange on the bass. It has a mid control and frequency sweep - after playing with the bass and my amp for awhile I can dial in a good sound, but I dont like to mess with my amp too much between bass setups. It has lots and lots of lows, and the highs seem a little thin. Since switching it to a tenor 5-string I have noticed that the output on the higher strings isnt as hot as the lows. Some of the knobs(stacked) have fallen off and/or are very stubborn to turn, which is what made me think of putting in new electronics in the 1st place.

The bass isnt crap, I think that I could turn it into a usable tool. I have wanted to work with effect processing on my bass through my laptop, khaos pad, or just lots of effects. So getting the bass to have a hotter more modern sound is what I am looking to do 1st.