1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan100, Aug 20, 2007.

1. I need a bigger cab and am very interested in the Mesa Boogie powerhouse 8x10, but here in New Zealand these are really expensive - $3700 New Zealand Dollars.:crying:
    However i could import the Bergantino NV610 from australia for a lot less money.:meh:

what would you do?

I play mainly rock/heavier music but would like to try playing some different styles.

Thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's certainly alot of money, but they are really great cabs. I guess it depends on how deep your pockets are. I've heard nothing but good reports on the Bergs, so.....

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I think you should get the Berg even if it cost more.

(and I see you have a SVT-II on your profile gas list)...
    I just happen to know that this pairing sounds (and feels) truly amazing together.

DSCN1326.

4. Thanks for the responses. I guess without being able to try either of the cabs you need to get as much info as possible.

ps.Anderbass, you have a great rig - you should be proud

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Brendan100, What other cabs are available to you in your area? Since you are using a Ampeg head what about Ampeg's 610 cab?

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 The NV610 gives up nothing to the Boogie 8x10 (and IMHO, sounds better), is easier to move, and costs less (for you, at least). A no brainer, I would think.

Tom.

7. That is pretty expensive. The Mesa cab is nice but not that nice. How about an ampeg 810? They are going pretty cheap second hand.

8. Thanks for the replies.

Your right - i don't think i would gain anything by getting the mesa and spending all that extra money!:smug:

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have amps and cabs from several different companies, but when it's time to pick something to gig with, it's ALWAYS my Mesa gear that goes. That said, if I had to purchase the new Mesa Powerhouse 8x10 or Bergantino 6x10, my choice would be the Berg, hands down.

10. Roma75

Roma75

Jul 28, 2007
    San Antonio
    Berg. No brainer

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Thanks ... :)

12. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    NV610

13. The high price of gear in NZ sure does suck....

Have you considered a Livesound 8x10? You have no doubt heard about them but if not its an Ampeg 8x10 copy made by Livesound in Auckland, very cool cabs, I have one and so does a good friend of mine. Around NZ$2000.

14. yeah, I have heard of the livesound 8x10 - but i think I would like to try one first before buying.

Seems that the feeling around here is that although the Ampeg 8x10 is a great cab, the bergantino is better - and I don't think it would cost a whole lot more to get the bergantino.

Having said that the livesound cab is still a great option that I hadn't thought about.
    How accurately does it copy the ampeg?

15. Sorry for the late reply.

I have never played my Livesound side by side with the Ampeg, but I do own an ampeg 4x10 and there seems to be a slightly different character.

Quite simply, the Livesound has a bit more midrange, but the Ampeg has a bit more high end.

Regardless of how close they sound the Livesound is a great sounding cab and at around NZ$2000 you can't go wrong. Its also around 60kg (rather than 72kg).

I'm also very keen to try a Berg from all the talk on here, pity theres no distro. I should talk to Mojosound in Wellington and convince them to start bringing it in, but I don't think theres enough bass players in NZ who actually care about tone.

16. I would contact Harley Dear in New Zealand, and check into a T39 bottom and O10 top.

He is the authorized builder for NZ, and can be reached through www.billfitzmaurice.com on the builder page.