1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Would You Do...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ... If a friend asked you to play on a recording of a song he wrote- and it's... well... pretty... umm... bad?

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Do it...why not? Its not like you're going to have your name attached to it as a songwriter. That, or figure out some nice way to tell him that he should go back to the drawing board with it.

3. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    make it good. that's what bass players do. :)

4. This is an opportunity to make something nice from a humble beginning.... Write a kool bass hook..plus do a dazzling bass into... you'll be saving the day, not to mention increasing YOUR worth.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Ask any session pro, and they'll tell you that your situation is more common than not.

You do it for one or any combination of your love for playing bass, for money, for the challenge of making the track better, for future connnections, as a favor for a friend, as a stepping stone, for experience, etc. etc. etc.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Unless it's so bad that you just can't do it and not cause a problem. I've been there.

7. I would do it...it's his song, and maybe something that sounds terrible to you sounds good to him. I have that problem with a lot of guitar players without rhythm

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Do it anyway. I've done that a bunch of times. You'd be amazed how many people write utter crap that they think is awesome. Just do the best you can to make it better.

I've just recently gotten the last necessary parts to be able to record in my home studio. Now I have to worry that I'll be the one writing crap and being proud of it.

9. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    crap is in the ear of the beholder. :)

10. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    This is one of the basic aspects of a working musician. You know how to play a bass, he needs a bass. Do it. You won't lose a birthday, get pimples, be shorter... and you might learn something.

11. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yup, there's nothing wrong with being a workhorse from time to time. You don't always have to be the artist.

As long as you have fun and enjoy playing bass.

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    As already said, just play it to the best of your ability.

13. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Do it. Then do it again and again until it no longer sucks. The great thing about recording is that you can erase it and start over at anytime you want.

14. Thanks a lot for the advice everyone!

I'll probably end up doing it, just because he's a friend.

There's nothing I can do to make the song any better. It's got bed tracks- and really the only thing that's left to do on it are to put the bass guitar tracks over the synth bass tracks.

I've done enough crappy projects and shows and sets for the money. I'm not opposed to whoring myself out, and any time that you're playing with a group of people- you're going to have to compromise somewhere along the line.

I guess there's no good reason not to play it and the only way to honestly beg off is to figure out a tactful way of saying 'dude, I love you, but your song sucks and the idea of me being even tangentally associated with it gives me the heebies..'