1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jakelly, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    If you were offered a gig after audtioning, then discovered a new ad a week later, little doubt from the same band, still looking for a bassist? Only this time asking for someone quite a bit younger. The ad was not worded exactly the same, but close enough, and had the same keywords and phrasing.

I am supposed to go to rehearsal with them tonight. My better half thinks I should just go, play good, and not confront them with it.

2. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Upfront communication is usually the best answer. Mention to them you saw a CL ad and wonder if that was their ad. You don't have to be confrontational with the whole thing. Keep it friendly. It's better to know going in, before you invest too much time, talent and money in this band.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Why were you looking at bass player wanted ads after you had just joined a band? :D

4. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    Just habit I guess.

5. kenlacam

kenlacam

Nov 8, 2005
    akron, ohio
    use a fake name, different phone #, and respond to the ad. If it them, then show up to the audition and go "AHA!!!! Caught YOU!!!!!! I QUIT!!!!!" LOL.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd ask them .
    Not "confront them".
    Life's to short to waste time on rehearsals for a gig one won't get anyways.
    Clarification is always a good thing I think.

7. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    you've got to do this!

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I wonder why they would offer you the spot if they thought you were too old in the first place?

Go in tonight and tear it up, make 'em overlook any age diff...

9. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I would be tempted to do that! haha.
    It would be quite awkward if it turned out to be another band though.

10. Craig630

Craig630

Apr 8, 2009
    Boston-ish
    Bottle it up. Just let the angst grow inside and eat away at you until you can't take it anymore and explode during the middle of rehearsal one day.

Or, ask them what's up.

Either or.

11. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Just be honest man, if it botheres you (it obviously does) talk to them. Their probably just covering their bases you know? maybe they had a few run-ins with bass players who possibly stood them up at a gig, I dont know, but they must have a few honest reasons.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No, do the first one. Think of the great TB post it will make :D

13. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    They've probably had a few members that didn't work out after a few weeks so they've learned to keep an ad going just in case. Don't let this freak you out, I think your 'better half" gave you really good advice.

14. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Inactive

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Are you uncomfortable with THEIR age? Your wife is right. I'd just go -- play, and realize they're going to do what they're going to do. How is confronting them going to change that? If they're dishonest, they'll just lie, but then you'll have that bad blood. In fact, THAT may be the reason to let you go.

SInce you're older, you should know how these things go.

15. me too...point blank,"i noticed the ad has been replaced,and before i drag my gear to another rehearsal, i need to know"

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Absolutely!
    Time is precious,no?

17. This^^

You can't do anything about your age except prove it means nothing.

18. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Maybe they figure that they can use you until they find someone closer to their own age that's as good or better than you.
    If there's a significant age difference, they may feel imtimidated, uncomfortable, or something.

I'd ask up front.
    You need to know whether you're just a temp.

It is just possible that someone else used their ad as a template for their own search.
    You could have a friend respond to the new ad to get some more details before asking them about it.

At any rate, you need to find out for sure what's up, if anything.

19. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    If the age difference is significant they may be considering things like life commitments. I know my band is mostly in our 20s and if someone were to come about in his/her 40s or 50s and blow the audition away I'd still be a little uncertain about whether a touring schedule would work the same for him/her.

20. This is the best response. Tear it up, if they care about the music, that's all that matters. If they care more about age, there's nothing you can do about it.

Besides, its a little hard to bust their balls about having another craigslist ad for a bass player after offering you the job when you found out by...... wait for it....

cruising Craigslist bassplayer wanted ads after accepting their position for a bass player.

I'm sorry, its just that with all the blackness, I can't tell which is the pot and which is the kettle...

Randy

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021