1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SantiagoGT15, Oct 7, 2010.

1. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Praise & Worship Group Leader/Director
    Ok so i am about to make a great decission , I have a great bass (ray34) but I got into fretless at the same time I got it , now I somehow regret getting it, so anyways I play at church and I told my group leader that I wanted to go full fretless and he told me I should get a fretless and have a fretted backup... So here is the great question :

, should I sell my bass and buy a squire vm fretless and a squier cv jazz , should I wait and get another bass later or should I just desist on fretless?

:confused:
    I just don't know what to do ... So WWYD?:smug:

2. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Keep the Ray -- it's foolish to downgrade your fretted. Look for a USED Squier, Yamaha or Ibanez fretless -- you should be able to find one for less than $200.

3. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    I considered downgrading my fretted since i would be playing the fretless a lot more and being a jazz style I would upgrade it with an audere preamp , the fretted jazz might get one too and maybe down the road some bartolinis or fralins

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    If you could sell and get both a Squier CV Jazz and Squier VM fretless Jazz, then I'm not sure that could be considered downgrading.

If it's this Squier Jazz:

[​IMG]

then every one I've played at GC was every bit as nice in build quality and sound as any Ray34/35 I've tried. It's a matter of what sound you're looking for. The new Squier's are very nice for the money.

5. That's a tough one. I'm a big fan of the MM 'Ray and ATK type basses but then I also have j and p basses and couldn't think of parting with them either. I'd have to say that you should keep the Ray34 and as you can afford them get a fretless, a fretted j and a fretted p.

IMHO they're all good to have in one's arsenal.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    *I* would keep the Ray!
    I've tried several of the Squier VM and I just didn't like it's tone or it's feel, I just can't get past whatever that fingerboard is they use.
    Find some other fretless.

7. Wasn't WWYD a follow up show to Double Dare but with pie instead of gak? Still had Mark Sommers though. I met him once at a function the food network put on for my old unit in 29 Palms.

Sorry, ADD. Go try out some fretless basses, and if they are in your price range, buy one. If not, go try to find a used one. If that doesn't work and you are stuck on fretless, then it may be time to drop the Ray34, but I'd hold off until you know you need to. I hate bass loss remorse syndrome, and I have a lot of experience in that department.

8. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    I don't see a reason for a fretted backup. What about swapping to to fretless Stingray?

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Do you have a fretless? How'd you "get into" fretless if you don't have one?

Keep the Ray if you love it. Buy a cheap used fretless. I see them all the time on Craigslist for dirt cheap...

I got my VM Squier fretless for $150 from a guy on CL

10. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    If you're 100% positive that you're a "fretless guy" from here on out, can you mod the Stingray into a fretless? A neck-swap and the electronics switchout (Audere) you mentioned would allow you to play your favorite bass AND fretless...a "have your cake and eat it too" situation.
    I would go with a cheaper fretted bass, as it will be a backup of sorts, and the sound may not be as crucial as that of the fretless.

11. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Well you see since I play at church we go from rock to jazz to instrumental ... So in most songs I can do with a fretless (I do own a defretted ibanez with a buzzing fretboard, can't play anything before the 9th fret, also broken truss rod).I love the Ray , it's just that if I want a fretless the options are limited since there are not a lot of budget conscious fretless basses ... I have thought about getting the squires just for the money and upgreadable cualities, I guess having a fretted and fretless jazz is great since I like the tone of both... And with switching the neck on my Ray , I haven't seen any replacements for ebmm, except Moses ... That would run about 400 dls, enough to buy a new vm fretless or a used fender mexi fl...

Money would be the issue here, since I have seen and heard the squiers , they are good , but a world different from a Ray , so is the price tag

I think having 2 jazz basses fretless and fretted cover the whole tonality spectrum, since I can get deep growly tones with the fl and bright slappy tones with the fretted

I still don't know what to do :confused:

12. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    OK, you said "slappy tones" so you WILL want a fretted.

Now I get to sound like your parent:

What's the hurry? Play your Stingray, enjoy your playing, and save up for the bass you really want. It gives you more time to look, listen, and try.

13. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    I consider that as an option but also fretless basses that would be par in sound quality are > $800 ...that would mean a long wait :crying:

14. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I still say try and snag a used Squier VM fretless...with a good setup, it's a real GAS to play (puns intended)

;)

15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    if you already have a fretless, get it fixed up.

if you don't have a fretless, don't spend a whole lot of money on one, it may not be what you think.

my suggestion: only sell a bass if you don't like it and never use it. i assume you like your Ray, so don't sell it! save up, and look for USED gear. life and money saver!

16. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Hahahaha I think you have a point , I was convinced by the pirate-stormtrooper ...

And the issue I have with buying a used fretless is fingerboards, I usually go to McAllen or Brownsville GC (i live in mexico) , so If i had to buy used I would have to buy it and have it sent to any of these locations , and GC crappy "used gear" pictures don't show much of the use it has ..I am afraid of choosing un-wisely and ending up with another piece of gear I can't enjoy playing

17. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Does the fingerboard material matter to you? Like wood or ebonol? Lined or not? Body wood?

18. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    not really , I mean I know that there are differences but everything it's ok with me, I'm not that picky

Fretless is fretless, lines or not , ebonol or rosewood ...

19. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Well, if you're too impatient to save up for a fretless Stingray, you can spend $300 and get a Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz or an Ibanez SR300 fretless. They both have agathis bodies and lined ebonol fingerboards. I haven't heard the Squier but I have the 5 string version of the Ibanez and it sounds great. The Squier has single coil pickups and the Ibanez has humbuckers.

Of coarse, this will put you $300 further away from your Stingray. ;)

20. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Well Thanks :D I think I have finally come to my verdict ... and I will wait till' I get some more money and go for some higher end

Thanks everyone

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021