1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by avvie, Jun 2, 2011.

1. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I got a call today from a guy who has a rock trio- or would, if he could get a bass player. Music is okay, and gigs, though few, would pay okay for this area. It's a long drive to rehearsal, but don't have to rehearse often.

The downside: a couple of d-bag flags popped up during the chat. The biggest:

Him: "What kind of bass do you play?"
    Me: "Well, I'd been playing a customized Yamaha BB300 for around 25 years, but I've switched to an Ibanez SR300 now..."
    Him: " Aw, yeah, you've got some serious equipment issues, dude..."

Um, he would know this how, exactly? What, I said the wrong brand name?

He also tried to give (unsolicited) amp advice in which he seriously confused impedance ratings with wattage ratings, telling me that my 700 watt head will push a 200 watt cabinet by running it parallel :eyebrow:

As much as I've been trying to meet and play with other musicians in my very limited playing area, I don't know if I could ignore those red flags. OTOH, this and other referrals have come from people who didn't pass MY audition criteria.

What say ye brethren lowenders?

2. Given the limited opportunities of your area I say get along to a jam to check things out. If the dude is aware of those same limited opportunities as you are, he should put his gear bias aside to fill the spot. Get a good sound man along to the first few gigs in case he tries to rewire your rack or something :D

Good luck with it.

3. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    I'd have to live in a severely limited playing area to even consider that.

OTOH. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Showing up to jam with them ONCE won't cost you very much in terms of money or wasted hours of life. With opportunities in your area as few and far between as you say, it seems reasonable to at least check out this opportunity in person.

IME, it usually takes three or four rehearsals before I can definitely say "I'm in", but only one or two before I can definitely say "I'm out". YMMV

5. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I agree this is a huge flag, but keep in mind he is gui****ed.

That, and he has possibly been dealing with a lot of idiots with lame gear and has become jaded.

Check out the rehersal to verify if you still have any doubts.