What would YOU get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lump, Jan 23, 2002.

1. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Here's the scenario:

Gig(s): Mainly church stuff, plus sub in the high school jazz band. Looking for a Top 40/Classic Rock cover band (Woo-Hoo - after 6 years I finally got a day job!). Volume levels range from coffee-house to medium-sized club, without PA.

Bass: 5-string, J-bass ripoff with a hot preamp. :D

Priorities (in this order):

#1 - Portability/weight. No one piece can weigh more than 70 pounds. The smaller, the better.

#2 - Tone. Yeah, it's #2. My bass pretty much sounds great through anything, so portability takes the top slot. Great tone ain't helping me any if the rig never leaves the house.

#3 - Price. It looks like Uncle Sugar is going to be extra sweet to me this year (Can you say Zone C SRB, fellow Zoomies?), so price isn't a huge factor. Let's try to keep it under $3K though.

What I don't want to do is either spend money for wattage I'll never use (i.e. I don't need a WT-800 and two Henry the 8x8s), or get something that may end up being under-powered.

I've already got a good idea of what I want, and have already talked to our fair Floridian gear-pimp about it. But I'd be interested in your opinion, if you can tear yourself from OT for just one friggin' second. ;)

Thanks for your input!
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Just based on the fact that my gigging situation is similar to yours, I'd recommend a seperate head/cab setup with a medium-powered head and 4x10 cab. I don't think any combo amp that could cut a medium-sized club gig without PA would meet your portability requirements.

SWR SM-500 - Goliath III 4x10 or a similarly sized Eden rig would be my first look-see. Another option is the head with 2 - 2x10 cabs....only carry one if needed or both.
  3. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I'm biased towards the 2x210 cab concept. Especially if your no.1 issue is portability. I can fit both eden 210 xlt's in the back seat of my girlfriend's toyota corola(sp?) with very little effort. To think I almost bought an 810! Volume's good, as is bass response and overall tone. I've played loud rock gigs w/ only one in a pinch before.
  4. Eden D-210MBW at 50 pounds, suitable for 5-string, and fairly loud at 100 SPL.
  5. I think for portability, the 2x210 idea was a great one.
  6. Big ditto on the two 2x10's idea. Small gig/rehearsal - just bring one. Bigger gig - bring both. Stack vertically for (literally) in-your-face volume or lay both on the stage for a bass boost. Amp-wise, I think that a WT-800 may be just the trick - power to spare and plenty of tone.
  7. Two Bag End 1x15's and an Ashdown ABM500. The 1x15's are each smaller than a 2x10, and will provide more volume and bass response. Total cost should be under $2000.00 american. Total weight for all three pieces is 118 pounds (44 pounds for each cabinet and 30 for the head).
  8. I would look at the Acme Low B4 or 2 Acme Low B2s with whatever amp you like that delivers 600-1000 watts.

Without a PA, I think this would be the way to get those 5-string lows without breaking your back.
  9. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Thanks for the input. So many choices. I'll tell ya right now though, a 4x10 is OUT. And I definitely prefer 210s to 115s.

Acme wasn't even on my radar, so I checked them out. The weight is right, but I don't want to have to deal with the power requirements.

Here are the two setups I'm seriously looking at:

EA iAmp 350, w/CxL210 instead of the 110. Pros: The combo alone would suit my needs for most of what I do, and it's all in one, happy 60 lb. piece. Cons: If together it ain't loud enough at some point, I'm screwed. Kind of a gamble, although this is the way I am leaning.

Eden WT-400 and (2) 210XLTs. Pros: A bit more headroom and flexibility. Arguably better tone. Cons: More expensive, overall about 30 lbs. heavier. And I have to lug at least a 68 lb. cab EVERY time I play (waa), plus the head.

I really like the idea of the iAmp setup, because for what I do 90% of the time right now, it would be PERFECT. I'm just concerned that I'm gonna want more juice later. If I were really smart, I would get the WT-800 and a coupla 210XLTs. I could add a 410 later if I needed it. And with the 210s stacked on end, it would destroy. That may be the wisest thing to do in the long run. Man, I hate this gear crap. And I hate spending money on "What if?", although that may be the wisest thing to do. Argh. :mad:
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

have you played thru any of these setups?? which one better suits you?

FYI, if you get the WT400, you can still run the single 2x10 cab but because you're going 8 ohm into 4 ohm, you'll be pushing half the wattage.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If lump is living in Osan, Korea I'll bet he doesn't have much chance finding bass gear to try out.

Hey lump, have they retired the Hammond B3 in the Osan rec center? I used to travel up to Osan just to play that sucker when in I was living in ROK (74-77).
  12. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    That's a fact. I was in Virginia last month, but all I could find was Ampeg and SWR stuff, neither of which I'm interested in.

A B3? I wish...with a big ol' Leslie cabinet...yeah, that's the ticket. "I'm a highway staaar..." :D Nah. Just the same out-of-tune piano that's been there for at least the last 12 years. Everything is under construction now; they're building a new community center and what is supposed to be the biggest BX in PACAF. The place is a mess.

The Peavey and Carvin just went up for sale, although I'm kinda hoping I can't move the Carvin. The cash ain't so important as the space. But watch me lose a gig to some guy playing through my old gear...;)