Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jawzzz, Aug 1, 2004.

1. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    On Thursday I went to play/audition with a band that contacted me via Music Mates. When I talked to one of the guitar players before, I told him that I had a family that comes first, and I don't have the illusion of becoming a rock star. I just want to have fun jamming, eventually playing some ocasional gigs. I also told him that I could only practice with them once a week due to my family. He said all was fine and that would not be a problem. At the end of his e-mail, he wrote: WE all dream of becoming Rock Stars. I took it as a joke.

After a 45 minute drive (30 miles) through rush hour traffic, i get to his house. I am already thinking "This drive is too much just for a band". But as usual, I keep an open mind about it. I meet the two guitar players and drummer. All of them are real freindly and somewhat mellow. I then find out that they are an all orignal metal band. Whoa! I was expecting to play metal covers, not originals. Oh well I will give it a whirl.

They help me get my rig set up and then they start to play some of thier songs for me. The drummer is an incredible Metal drummer. I was very impressed. The Guitar riffs were solid, but they were out of key at times, and all over the place. I figured that the best way for me to learn any song, is to figure out the key, and go from there. Damm near impossible with what they were playing. Neither guitarist really knows what notes or key they are playing.

After about an hour of their tunes, we take a break and start to chat. Come to find out, THEY REALLY THINK THAT THEY ARE GOING TO BE ROCK STARS! No joke. These are 32 y/o men who are dreaming like a teenager. They have studio time lined up next month to do a demo.Here is were as a bass player, I started to get a little insulted.The guitar player says, we don't need any basslines for the demo, we can fill them in later. He says" I have a subwoofer that I plug my GUITAR in to and it sounds just like a bass". " I can make up the bass lines if you are not ready to".

WHAT! I know it is hard to believe, but a guitar player actually thinks that playing bass is easy, and that a GUITAR though a subwoofer is just as good as having a bass player.I tried to explain to him that there is alot more to bass than meets the eye, but he did not really buy it.I told him that even though I am not that good, I will not settle for just playing root notes to fill some void in between guitar solos. I explained to him once again, the importance of my family, and that I would not neglect them for the band. I told the whole band that I did not think it would work, because thier goals are way off from mine. I do not dream of being a rock star as they do. All I want to do is have a little fun playing bass, original or covers. They were all nice and understanding, yet still wanted me to play with them. They even carried my rig out to the truck for me. I brought my GS 412 with me, so I thought that was pretty nice.

What would you guys have done in this situation? I feel that I have done the right thing by declining to be in the band. The fact that they were all really cool and willing to work with me makes it a little harder, but I just feel that not having the same goals will become a huge problem later down the road.

Jody

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I also have a family and am looking for a local band to play with for fun and ocasional gigs. I am almost desperate at this point so I've given a lot of thought as to what to look for and what to avoid. What would I have done? I'd have done what so many others have done to me. I would have thanked them and said I had a good time and that I'd like some time to reflect on things and I'll be in touch in a few days and then never ever ever called them back. Seriously, don't waste a second of your time on them.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would have done exactly what you did. I really did do that a while back. I was in a band with the wrong atmosphere, and the wrong goals, and just told them I was packing up, and taking my leave. Haven't heard from them since, and haven't seen them play anywhere since I left.

4. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I would have laughed and them.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    "Guitar through a subwoofer is just as good as a bass...." Run away! Are those 32 year old guys still scribbling the "KISS" logo on their spiral notebooks?

6. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I did not see any notebooks with band names scribbled on them, but I did forget to mention something that I found hilarious.
    While playing they turned off all of the lights, and had a bunch of lasers, flashing lights, black lights and such on. I guess it made them feel like they were real rock stars on stage.

I admire their dedication, but it such a long shot to get signed, and their music IMO, was not going to do it. I feel that if I joined the band, I would not gain anything from it in a musical sense. The only thing I would gain, is a bunch of stories for the "gig humor" forum. :D

7. you mean its not? i suggest you listen the the eagles of heavy metal then!!! :D

all kidding aside, i would have declined the band as well. all they want is some bottom end for their guitars and if thats not cool with you, than you're not going to have any fun. some people on't mind root notes, unless you were planning to play jaco-type licks, then i'd say swollow your pride, and play. anyways, if its not what you want to do, than don't do it. you did the right thing...heck, you can always start your own band, and get a like-minded guitarist and drummer, and you will be able to do whatever you want to do!

Charlie

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Walk the horse and pitch to the rhino.

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To paraphrase Johnny Cochrane, "If the band doesn't fit, you must quit."

These metal dreamers have a totally different mindset than you do. That is not to say they are wrong to have their dreams. What I am saying is that your dreams do not fit theirs even minimally.

To stay with them would only be courting heartache down the road. They were nice to you because they are darned nearly desperate for a bass player. If they weren't desperate, they could see that your objectives and theirs do not mesh.

Try to find a band that better fits your needs and your limitations--family obligations, work, etc. Even supposing these metal dudes can and do realize their dreams, you probably do not fit comfortably in their metal lifestyle.

10. good story i liked that,and you have good priorities
    peace
    frank

11. I'de agree to play with them, practice for whenever and then at the first gig poop on stage and scream into a mic and pretend you're on drugs, but that's just me. ;) :D

12. BucketButt

BucketButt

Sep 10, 2003
    Medina, TN USA
    Anytime you don't feel like a good fit with the rest of the band, it's wise to walk away before you get into a situation that will only become more awkward. Nice guys or not, they seem to have a vision of their future I could never buy into.

13. I think you did the most responsible and honest thing. I wish younger people have similar integrity and maturity. :rollno:

Leigh

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Keep walking ...

;)

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think you did great. They didn't need you, they needed a cheering section.

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree you did the right thing. Don't give up though. It took me almost 10 years before I found another band that worked for me.

Besides, they didn't even have a clue as to what a bassist can do! Move on and good luck.

17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The bests band you can find is one that is made up of people in a similar situation to yours. I'm in two bands at the moment and both were a result of contacts we made at my kids' preschool.

18. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    The whole time I was there, my gut feeling was that It would not work out. I have a couple of other bands contact me anyway, so I will give them a whirl and see how it works. As for the "Rock Stars", I wish them them luck, even though I feel it is a lost cause.